Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8L E4OD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, i have had a problem getting my '93 Bronco started. Was having problems with the fuel pump for a while, so I had replaced the fuel pump within the last few months. Could not get the vehicle started after this. Checked all my connections. Pump primes when the key is turned on. Check engine light was on but was not letting out any codes in self-test mode, so I pulled the EMC and noticed one of the diodes was burnt off the board. I have since replaced that with a refurbished one. The new ECM now gives me a code of '33', which i believe is an EGR valve code, but i dont believe that would hinder the vehicle from starting. So, i went back to basics and checked that there was pressure on the fuel rail and that there was spark being distributed to the plugs. Still not firing. Have also replaced the EMC and Fuel System relays in position 4 and 5 on the fuse block. Checked all other fuses and none are burnt out.

Need some help! I have had my baby since 2001 and typically done my own work on it (aside from a transmission swap a few years back). So, i am up for suggestions.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,553 Posts
While u were checking basics did u check grounds? Battery cables or wires going to solenoid, starter, or alternator ever been replaced or original?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Look at Owl Stu, Post #4:

EGR valve can fail open or fail closed. If it failed open, that might cause an issue with starting. I'd probably remove the EGR valve (and cap the hoses like he suggests) just to dot that i before getting into the rest of the problems it could be.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just to be clear, Your engine is turning over but not starting right? Did you verify spark at all the plugs and what was the pressure reading on the fuel rail? Did the truck ever run since the you installed the refurb ECM?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the posts. Yes i should've been clear that it is turning over strong, that's not a problem. My initial thought was that perhaps my fuel injectors, although have pressure on the rail, were not opening. However, the vehicle was running before replacing the in-tank fuel pump. Also replaced the fuel filter to make sure there were no other blockages. I did not pull all the spark plugs as some of them are VERY difficult to get to on the passenger side as we all know with the way the plenum is designed. Vehicle has not run since before the fuel pump was replaced, but was running rough and rough on initial acceleration.

While u were checking basics did u check grounds? Battery cables or wires going to solenoid, starter, or alternator ever been replaced or original?
Thanks for the suggestion on the grounds. I haven't checked the in a while. I will do that first probably starting with the ones on the cowl.

Look at Owl Stu, Post #4:

EGR valve can fail open or fail closed. If it failed open, that might cause an issue with starting. I'd probably remove the EGR valve (and cap the hoses like he suggests) just to dot that i before getting into the rest of the problems it could be.
Thanks. That was a pretty controversial post. I was also thinking of disconnecting the EGR and plugging the vacuum line. Is there a way to trick the ECM thinking that it's closed if perhaps that might be keeping it from starting. EGR was replaced about a year ago and the truck is mostly sitting in the garage but also in brutal AZ heat.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Do you have pressure at the fuel pressure schrader valve? Recently there was a member here that miswired his fuel pump and the pump was running backward, thus no fuel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you have pressure at the fuel pressure schrader valve? Recently there was a member here that miswired his fuel pump and the pump was running backward, thus no fuel.
Yup that was me. Had the fuel pump wires swapped so the pump got power but was spinning backwards.

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Yo cpalmateer,
Welcome!
Try the self-test again because Ford went from two-digit to three-digit EEC IV codes in 1991.
□☆□

ASAP, find out if speed control if equipped, recall worked out of was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

As you've done, for any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search. See more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Try to find time to participate in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later in thr year Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update here. I purchased an OBD tester and I found that i was not getting a '33' but, in fact, getting a '111'. Reading the code descriptions, that says it is a 'system ok' code. Also, put a gauge on the fuel rail schrader valve and I'm getting approx 38lbs of fuel pressure. Checked spark at the plugs and they all seem to be getting spark as well. Checked the grounds under the hood (total of 4), and they all seem to be good too.
So, still at a loss and not sure where to go next. Just trying to get it to fire at this point.
Any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts