Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to replace my rotors because they were scarred pretty bad. I went to oreilly ordered up a set of wagner rotors becuase they said they were made in brazil and not china wich ill take any day of the week. The rotors arrived and I saw one was in a box that said wagner all over it to my surprise it also said made in the USA. The other was in a plain white box with sticker that said wagner on it but it also said made in china. I put them side by side and checked there weight the made in USA was heavier and appeared to have more material on it. The parts guy tells me not to worry because it has the same warranty them gave me problems returning it. I called gthe local distribution center and they tell me they have 2 more there and that both say made in the USA but being saturday I had to wait till Monday for it to arrive. Once I got the new rotor and the timken bearings I rented the tools needed( What a nightmare) I started taking the hub apart I start to remove the first locknut on drivers side and I was able to turn it by hand till the last few turns that needed a lot of force to turn. The inner locknut was the same thing. I get everything put back together and when installing the ineer locknut I noticed the threads on the spindle are stripped on the outer edge so now I have to get a new spindle. Was a ble to do the passenger side with no problems replaced rotor caliper and brake hose. Tomorrow im hitting the u pull it and hope to find a good spindle and get everything done before work at 7pm. The rotor were 45.99 and the guy at the distrubution center said that they were old stock but they still have some in a ot of centers you just have to rewuest them.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
if you are dead set on replacing the spindles be careful because there are several different styles...

I've ****ed up the threads on 44 spindles more times than I want to admit...

I've always fixed em with a thread file and have not had any problems

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just sharing. I thought about trying to fix the threads but it apears to be missing half of the thread on the outside. I was planning on gettig the spindle from an 83 or an 85 that I saw there last week. Im also just replacing the driver side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well just got back from the u pull it found 3 broncos same years but all 3 were pretty rusty in the area around the bolts. would they still be good or will I have to find a new one. Anyone know were I can get new ones other than jbg.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
five more junkyards 8 more 4x4s same problem. Spindle rusted to knuckle so bad that I couldnt even hammer them out. Last resort is going to be JBG but Im still going to try a few more jy a little farther from the coast.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,128 Posts
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up one of these tools. They're made for cutting/cracking bricks.

It has a slight wedge. This works great with a 4 lb hammer to get them SOB's off. Keeps you from smacking the spindal and scarring it up. Place it behind the spindal, against the knuckle. This is what I use.

And make sure you take the little bitty bolt out of the back as well, or you'll never get them off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had trouble gettin a spindle off. Went to autozone rented a spindle puller it looks like a socket it screws on to the threaded part of the spindle.u will also need a slide hammer. It screws into the spindle puller. This is a lot easier and quicker than a chisle. Good luck.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,128 Posts
I had trouble gettin a spindle off. Went to autozone rented a spindle puller it looks like a socket it screws on to the threaded part of the spindle.u will also need a slide hammer. It screws into the spindle puller. This is a lot easier and quicker than a chisle. Good luck.
Well, I've never used this tool that your describing, but I can tell you this: I wouldn't want to be yanking on the spindal by the threads in fear of damaging them.

The chisel that I posted works rather well with a 4 lb hammer (BFH). Never has given me any problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
for some odd reason this tool was invented to make the task easier. The threads on my spindle were not damaged after I used it. I have done it with hammer and chisel and with the puller. I find it easier and less of a risk than swinging a 4lb hammer near the threads. But then again that's my opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, I've never used this tool that your describing, but I can tell you this: I wouldn't want to be yanking on the spindal by the threads in fear of damaging them.
If you have the spidle adapter for the slide hammer screwed on as far as it would go you wouldn't damage those threads in a million years by yankin on them.

A good rule of thumb is: As long as the length of thread engaged is equal to or greater then the diameter, threads are pretty much indestructable in an axial pulling or pushing motion.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,128 Posts
If you have the spidle adapter for the slide hammer screwed on as far as it would go you wouldn't damage those threads in a million years by yankin on them.

A good rule of thumb is: As long as the length of thread engaged is equal to or greater then the diameter, threads are pretty much indestructable in an axial pulling or pushing motion.
That's ok.........my method has worked for me for 18 years now, and it does just fine ;)

I guess I don't need to spend the extra money on a tool I don't need :haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not bashin your method sackman i actually use a chisel too when mine don't come off :beer

I was just tryin to clear up that the method using the slide hammer won't ruin the threads.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you happen to know the part # for the spindle puller. The guys at the autozones near here dont seem to know anything about rental tools. I had to g and find the slide hammer with puller so I could get the bearing races out cause they said no such tool existed same thing with the race installer until I showed them the picture on their desk with the part #.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
do you happen to know the part # for the spindle puller. The guys at the autozones near here dont seem to know anything about rental tools. I had to g and find the slide hammer with puller so I could get the bearing races out cause they said no such tool existed same thing with the race installer until I showed them the picture on their desk with the part #.
They should have a counter mat that ahows all the rental tools. Every time I have rented them, they just pull out that mat and ask which ones I need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks I found it this morning. I went back to the u pull it they had a new 84 bronco there. The spindle wasnt rusted on as bad this time. The slide hammer aand spindle removal tool removed it with one hit afterletting it soak in pb blaster for about 15 minutes. Managed to get the hub and rotor back on but unfortunatley its time for work. Will be installing the new caliper and brake line tomorrow cant wait to see what the new brakes feel like. In a couple weeks ill be replacing the tie rods hopefully that will take care of my lose steering if the bearing replacement and adjustment didnt. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts