Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I aquired a late 90's electric fan from a crown victoria. its a perfect fit with my OEM thinner radiater.( i tried a thicker aftermarket radiater but its too thick). I went and bought the Advance Auto electric fan relay setup its all wired properly. its a two fan design so i set both wires to my 10 gauge supply to the fan. and there is 10 gauge feeding the relay. i currently run a 30 amp fuse for the fan but it blows at random times. that and the relay doesnt work all the time. Does anybody know of a really reliable fan relay setup with a temp sensor and A/C override? and is 30 amp enough or should i use a 50amp fuse??

apreciate it

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks but im not running a two fan setup just the relay is a universal fit for a two fan and i set all the power to my one big fan.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Edit: nevermind. Realized you were talking about one fan instead of two.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anybody know of a really reliable fan relay setup with a temp sensor and A/C override?
I bought this one from Summit.

I have not installed it yet, so I don't know how reliable it is. Adjustable from 150F to 240F, 3/8 NPT in water temp sensor, and A/C override. It was the best one I could find for that price ($40 plus $10 shipping).

its a two fan design so i set both wires to my 10 gauge supply to the fan.
My Summit one does single or dual fans. I "think" the instructions said, for a single fan setup, to just connect one of the power wires to the fan, and leave the other power wire unconnected. I'll check tonight.

·
I see Broncos
6,036 Posts
I bought this one from Summit.

I have not installed it yet, so I don't know how reliable it is. Adjustable from 150F to 240F, 3/8 NPT in water temp sensor, and A/C override. It was the best one I could find for that price ($40 plus $10 shipping).

My Summit one does single or dual fans. I "think" the instructions said, for a single fan setup, to just connect one of the power wires to the fan, and leave the other power wire unconnected. I'll check tonight.
Yea had one of those once, it was way undersized, kept killing relays. Try getting a constant duty solenoid, that should help out with the reliability factor. As for the fuse, get the current sized on the fan. I'm sure steve will correct me on this if I'm wrong but the mark 8 fan that i'm running pulls 70 amps on startup and close to 40 on the high setting.

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Fireguy (Ryan) sells a better relay (Heavy Duty) or you can get it from Del City Wire. Rated for 75a continuous duty... You might want to up your wiring from 10g to 8g and use a Maxi fuse (Larger Contact Area, less voltage loss...)

·
I see Broncos
6,036 Posts
Ahh well to me it looks like a solenoid:

Yea I know, overkill but I got it for free. And no I didn't look at your pic.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
:rolleyes: The thing that says "RELAY" on it looks like a solenoid to you? :shrug
Ya know, me and DavesBronc90 were at Autozone getting a new starter relay for my truck. They couldnt find it. They said they didnt have any. Me, being stubborn, insisted I didnt need a solenoid, just a fender mounted relay. They didnt have it in stock (nor did Advance across the street). I couldnt believe it. I told them ALL Ford vans and trucks used the SAME GODDAMN RELAY and I cant believe they don't carry it.

Dave stepped in, and said the word "solenoid". Sure enough, the parts monkey found it.

Thats a classic example of my stubborness overriding my competence with getting things done. Dave is obviously able to "play the game" and accomplish the final objective.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Ya know, me and DavesBronc90 were at Autozone getting a new starter relay for my truck.
Well there's your problem. :toothless Stupid toothless hillbillies wrote their parts catalog program.

Not sure how someone could think this was NOT a relay:

Attachments

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Well there's your problem. :toothless Stupid toothless hillbillies wrote their parts catalog program.
Hey, Advance didnt have it (supposedly) and Napa was closed! I was desperate!

Until I realized I didnt even need a starter relay, due to having the newer PMGR starter on my truck...

There goes 11 bucks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CV uses a 30A fuse for low speed; 60A for high. IDK what the motor actually draws, but I'd suspect it's similar to this.

well thats not my fan, it maybe the same mechanically but this is mine.

it had two speeds, now it runs on high only and has red blades. its big but there is 1" clearance between the fan pully and back of the motor housing, and its 26"X19" so its a perfect fit.
Would a starter relay and a 190 degree temp sensor be alright to run it??? or will the temp sensor set off the relay??? i do see that im runing low amp fuses and barely useable relays on this compared to you guys.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I have a 200 degree temp switch and the fans run constantly once it warms up. I think the coolant exiting the motor is always going to be 200-ish, and since that is where my temp switch is, it never drops below it. The thermostat is 195 degrees, so basically once the thermostat opens, the fans run, no matter if I need the extra airflow through the radiator or not.

I'm going to try 205 or 210 and see if they run at a more reasonable rate.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 200 degree temp switch and the fans run constantly once it warms up. I think the coolant exiting the motor is always going to be 200-ish, and since that is where my temp switch is, it never drops below it. The thermostat is 195 degrees, so basically once the thermostat opens, the fans run, no matter if I need the extra airflow through the radiator or not.
thats sounds like a good setup to me,
but wut im wondering is if a temp switch will send power through itself to a relay and make it turn the fan on before it gets to 200 degrees or wutever temp it is set to??? Once it gets hot i want to keep my trans cool which means almost almost constant fan run time after it warms up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok cool, thanks for clearing that up, i thought it might run like a low voltage untill the set temp then go a full 12v. good news then im gunna order one off summit and get a relay and use my maxifuse, 50amp ok????

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my bad with the pic size

heres how close this fan fits into my truck

heres how nice of a fit it is to the radiator, its only 1/2 less wide, simple brackets and it goes right into stock shroud position.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whats holding it on the bottom?
like I said some simple brackets, just two peices of 1/2 angle iron that fit right into the clips.

Did someone get a little carried-away with the red spray paint? :rolleyes:
red is my accent color, it could be worse, I could have painted the intake and valve covers red when i had that appart but oppted for factory and black

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
like I said some simple brackets, just two peices of 1/2 angle iron that fit right into the clips.
I see that for the top - for the bottom the OEM slipped down into a clips, wasn't sure if you were able to reuse that or not. :twak

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.