Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a set of Cooper Discoverer Radial LT 33X12.50X15, from Pep-boys.

The problem i am having is I have had them balanced at four different places and they still are bouncing all over different speeds.

One told me the tires are out of round. I raised the Bronco and sure enough, You can see them way out-of -round as you put it in Gear and the Tires are spinning.

Has anyone else had this problem with Pep Boys tires?

Thanks,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
No, but if you bought them new they shouldn't be out of round. And if they are out of round pep boys shouldn't have sold them to you. And, not to make this repetitive, but if they did sell them to you out of round, they should give you a refund or replace the tires free. If they don't that's ridiculous.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
As a jaded pep boys employee i can honestly tell you that YES there are plenty of problems with pep boys tires.....

That being said, normally the cooper brand tires are better than the majority of other junk tires we sell.

Those are bigger tires thou. how are they balancing them? static or dynamic? are you using hammer on weights or stick on wieghts? are you running aftermarket wheels? if so make sure the wheels are centered on the hub.

I have noticed that sometimes especially with the truck tires we will get a bad set that just don't balance well at all. if you bitch enough and dont leave they will replace them.

Take them back to pep boys have them balance them again and explain your problems and how they haven't went away. be polite and patient. but don't leave if they try to shoo you away. your persistance will get you a new set out of it.

But before you do that let me know about how they are balance and i can maybe help get it straighten out.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
basically, what im saying is pep boys sucks.

Just want to make sure they are balance correctly before i tell you how to get a new set from them.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
basically, what im saying is pep boys sucks.

Just want to make sure they are balance correctly before i tell you how to get a new set from them.
Dont get me wrong, They are ordering me another set.

magnum, I am sorry for my ignorance but, what do you mean by "static or dynamic"?

Also they used Stick on weights on the center of the rim and hamered weights on the inner.

Here is a pic of my rims:

They are 15X10

They are great at Pepboys, atleast the one by me, everyone knows me by name and I know them, so there is no Problem as far as getting them replaced.

mag, when I had the BFG's on, They balanced them on the Bronco and all the stick on weights were on the outer edge on the inside of the rim and ran smooth, thats why I know its not the rims plus like I mentioned above, with the Bronco rear tires off the Ground and in Drive you can see how much Out of round the tires are.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
cool, sounds like they did the balancing correctly.

Some pep boys stores have good honest technicians and service advisors who care....but too many just don't give a damn for many reasons. then you factor in that most of the stores are outdated with old equipment with poor quality parts and horrible inventory. Then end result is usually bad.

Static balancing only uses on wheel weight, usually on the inside edge to balance for verticle runout. dynamic balancing takes into account both directions for a truer balance. using the stickies on the outside and hammer ons around the inside is an acceptable method.

But yeah, sounds like you got a batch of bad tires. It is more unusual since those are coopers. Maybe the coopers have even went down hill lately. Whatever you do STAY AWAY from the definity tires. one out of about 6 definity tires doesn't balance well at all for us.

Good to hear they are actually taking care of you. Just make sure they dynamic balance your new set.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If they are out of round takem back. They should replace them. If they dont contact Cooper Tire. On the other hand, make sure your wheels are mounted correctly with the right lug nuts! When I worked at a tire shop we would put the tire on the balancer and spin it by hand and check the roundness with a radial runout gauge. If the roundness was out of the minimum specs. The customer could get new tires or credit towards a replacement depending on the tread depth and mileage.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, sounds like they did the balancing correctly.

Whatever you do STAY AWAY from the definity tires. one out of about 6 definity tires doesn't balance well at all for us.

Good to hear they are actually taking care of you. Just make sure they dynamic balance your new set.
Yeah, they even told me to stay clear of the definity's...

I was just curious as to the tire itself.

Thanks again all & yes mag, There was a time I would nt set foot at that store until they cleaned House and now its a much Friendlier and caring group of Guys ~ Gals . :rockon The other guys went to Advance. LOL

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
\Whatever you do STAY AWAY from the definity tires. one out of about 6 definity tires doesn't balance well at all for us.
that's funny you say that. my shop has sold HUNDREDS of definitys to our customers. almost 100% of them came from our local pep boys. i can count on one hand how many of them didn't balance out. and they seem to wear great as long as you rotate/balance them when you are supposed to.

and yes i know about how many were garbage because i do 90% of the tire replacements/repairs at my shop.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
wierd....the definity h/t's are the bad. the all terrians are ok, and the mud terrians are horrible.

the LT series always balanced worse of course

none of them wear bad, just dont balance well

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
wierd....the definity h/t's are the bad. the all terrians are ok, and the mud terrians are horrible.

the LT series always balanced worse of course

none of them wear bad, just dont balance well
i was talking about car tires. :brownbag :duh

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was talking about car tires. :brownbag :duh
Maybe car tires, but the Truck tires we are talking about have been known to be problamatic. So much in fact, They have DISCOUNTUED their definity Truck tires. Atleast here in South Florida.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mag, Just an Update. Pepboys finally replaced the tires as defective. I tried to tell them I wanted them "Dynamic Balanced", They said they knew watt they were doing. Apparently not, although the Bronco is driving pretty good at even 80 MPH, were as before I couldnt take it over 60- 70 MPH.

Thanks again for your input and Congrats on the Wedding! :beer

We'll have to have that beer next Year {cant make it to RITS this year} God willing. :beer

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Good to hear they got it straightened out for you. Just odd that it was real coopers you were having trouble with.

Of course, i never have to deal with that crap again...I start my new city fleet maintenance job in about 3 hours :toothless

Thanks for the congrats!

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to hear they got it straightened out for you. Just odd that it was real coopers you were having trouble with.

Of course, i never have to deal with that crap again...I start my new city fleet maintenance job in about 3 hours :toothless

Thanks for the congrats!
GREAT! Then its "Double Congrats", Hopefully City Job comes with Benefits and better Hours ! :beer

mag, I tawt so too, with the coop's., I believe it was the way they were "Packed" before shipping ? :twak Man, when I raised the rear end and put her in Drive, they were spinning as if they were put on the wheel "sideway's". If you know watt i mean ? :doh0715: These now are alot different, they still a bit noisy, but that I can handle, i knew that before i bought them :histerica . :thumbup

I guess they know, if they dont take care of me, I just simply wont buy from them. Got them on "Time-out" as of now, haven't bought from them since, they get the message :haha

Again, Double Congrats,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts