Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to refresh everyones memory. I have a 95 Bronco, 4'' lift with a BW 1356 electric transfer case. I had a noise / vibration that started last year. I had the transfer case overhauled by a friend who owns a transmission shop 3 weeks ago. The overhaul included all bearings, seals, oiler pump and the two metal plates that the electric shift magnet pulls together. After all that I still had the noise / vibration. I did some further dianosting and found that my axel shaft u joints were shot. I pulled the front diff and the axels and replaced all three u joints and both spindle bearings. Everything else was in good condition. Put it all back together and went for a ride, the f#*[email protected]** noise / vibration is still there.
This is what I did today to try and determine what is causing my problems. I raised the rear end (on jack stands ) , had my son shift from 2 wheel to 4 wheel ( front hubs unlocked). The noise / vibration is diffinatly coming from the T case . I then disconnected the front drive shaft from the T- case and had my son do the same thing. No noise / vibration. This noise / Vibration only occurs when the front drive shaft is connected . I had front & rear drive shafts balance a couple of weeks ago also. Could the drive shfat angle cause this problem in the t- case? Im not sure if this problem was there prior to installing the lift. Any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
you have only a 4" lift im assumining by your name...could be a length problem but not likely...length has never been a problem before with a 4" lift

check the torque on the yoke/flange coming out of the tcase to the front driveshaft...it may be under torqued or something...i dont think there are anyshims in there...how many miles on the tcase prior to the rebuild??/

it may be that the shop just hit the yoke nut with a impact and didnt get it tight...casueing a vibration...get that checked first..

i would also pull your front driveshaft apart(slip yoke) and inspect the splines

other than that i dont know what else it could be..

BTW driving the wheel while the truck is up on stands is dangerous...be careful

dc

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked with a drive shaft shop in Arizona today and told them about my problems Im having. They suggested I replace the front driveshaft u-joints again. So I did. Same problem, more $$$$ down the drain. The noise Vibration / seems to start at 30 mph and get louder as I go faster. I think my next step is to borrow a transfer case from a local junk yard that owes me a favor and try it to see if I have the same problems. I have invested over $800 in try to fix this problem. Im ready to drive this Bronco into a wall.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Don't buy another transfer case, get your driveline angles right first.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I dont know, but I had a bad vibration like that with my rear shaft once......turned out it was the crush sleeve was a bit loose on the rear where the flange bolted to the rear. We zapped that bolt down with the impact and it was a done deal.
I am wondering if there is a fastener in the front diff like that one. Or I guess it could be something inside your differential.....was the truck ever re geared???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts