Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 full size with a inline 6 300. I got it in Feb. and it has always been kind of hard to start but when it did it sounded good and ran good. But now here latley its kind of not sounding so good. When I crank it I now have to Keep on the gas a few min for it to start running on its own. Not Gun it or anything just a little gas. :shrug and even when it stays running on its on its little rough sounding. I have changed the plugs and pcv valve and gas filter. But after like 5-10 min I guess when its good and warmed it idles like it did when i got it? Is it just cold natured? Oh and someone told me one time if you take a dollar bill or something and put it at the tail pipe and see if it gets sucked back in the pipe. Well i did this and it does want to go in the pipe. It goes in and out in and out. But after the 5-10 min peirod all it does is blow away form the pipe. And I can't for the life of me remember what this means. :shrug If anyone can give me some insite it would be greatly APPRECIATED. :beer :usa

BroncoHound

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
It goes in and out in and out.
:lolup :lolup That's what she said!!!:histerica :histerica :histerica

I had a 300 6 cyl in my 79 and it seemed cold natured. I would have to start it and the do like you do giving it a little gas to keep it running. The 351m in it now does the same thing so I think part of it is the cold nature issue. I am by no means a great mechanic so I am sure one of the greats will come along and tell you a little more what to do and check for.

K

·
0 Posts
BroncoHound said:
It goes in and out in and out.
:lolup :lolup :lolup :stupid

you might want to check and see if you have any vacuum leaks - that could possibly solve your idling problems... and did you replace the spark plug wires when you changed the plugs? possibly another thing i would try FIRST... also, check the seals on the intake manifold and see if those are bad... cant think of anything else:shrug hope all goes well! - kenny

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys :beer i will check and see what I come up with. Will post and tell ya the out come. :thumbup

:lolup yeah i just got the in and out in and out :goodfinge

Laters

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
check the carb n make sure it's tight on the manifold. Those single barrel's like to loosen up a bit. Had the same problem on my 86, turned out the carb floppin around.:thumbup

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the best way to check for leaks???:shrug :shrug

:thumbup thanks again for all the help

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
while it's running start sprayin it down with carb cleaner. spray all hte vacume lines, around the carb, around the intake etc... if there's a leak the motor will "bog down" when u hit the right spot with hte carb cleaner.:thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts