Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a programmer like a Superchip for the '96 5.8 EB?? If so, does it work OK?

Pap

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Diablo Sport Predator on my 2008 F-250 V-10 and a Superchip on my wife's 2007 Lincoln LT and both work great. My '96 Bronco does have the plug for a programmer, but since it was early in the "chip" era, I am wondering if it is a good idea to mess with the programed black box.

Pap

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Save your money, it would be a waste of time and $$ on a stock Bronco. You can get better gains doing the ignition tune-up listed on this site and bumping the base timing a few degrees. Then consider a better y-pipe/converter as the next upgrade. Once you start adding better heads, cam, etc. would you need a tuner.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah umm i have one on my 2000 f350 and its a dully and it will white smoke the tires like nothing and i also can drive around a kill the stupid ricer kids all day so they help but thats a diesel i also have a 96 5.8 bronco and are goin to buy on they help a lot if ya have an automatic trans with shit timing and gettin those higher rpms and quicker and fimer shifts but the cool thing is since u have obd II u car recalabrate your seedomator for bigger tires different gears ect

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
yeah umm i have one on my 2000 f350 and its a dully and it will white smoke the tires like nothing and i also can drive around a kill the stupid ricer kids all day so they help but thats a diesel i also have a 96 5.8 bronco and are goin to buy on they help a lot if ya have an automatic trans with shit timing and gettin those higher rpms and quicker and fimer shifts but the cool thing is since u have obd II u car recalabrate your seedomator for bigger tires different gears ect
actually, you cnt reprogr4m the seedomator, because teh seedomator is its own unit, it isnt PCM driven....

in otherwords, to change the seedomator, u haz 2 fondle some wires n chnge some numbers and then it works...

If power is what you are looking for, do the sixlitre tuneup and a proper new exhaust

·
Registered
142 Posts
aculy you can plug the chip or computer to the obd II port and change it it not drivin by the cable design with the gear but i plug a computer into mine at my the school i go to for mechanics and changed the ratio cause i put 33's on my truck and it dead on now

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
aculy you can plug the chip or computer to the obd II port and change it it not drivin by the cable design with the gear but i plug a computer into mine at my the school i go to for mechanics and changed the ratio cause i put 33's on my truck and it dead on now
If you get this done, let me know how it works. I have PSOMED my speedo too many times and cannot change it anymore and need to recalibrate again.
Thx

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have stock tires and wheels on mine so I don't need any re-calibration on my speedo....just looking for more speed and maybe some mileage. I have a Bassani shorty headers and exhaust plus a K&N intake system, and an Eidlebrock highrise manifold. It runs good for a 3.55 axle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an SCT tune in mine. FWIW the guy that tuned it said the stock tune has ALOT of fuel in it, he also added some timing and wrote me a 93 octane tune. You also have to pull the fuel pump fuse before you reflash it otherwise it will run the entire time.

Pappy are you on PSN?

Edit: He also firmed up the shifts.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
I have an SCT tune in mine. FWIW the guy that tuned it said the stock tune has ALOT of fuel in it, he also added some timing and wrote me a 93 octane tune. You also have to pull the fuel pump fuse before you reflash it otherwise it will run the entire time.

Pappy are you on PSN?

Edit: He also firmed up the shifts.

why would it be running?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was always going to use an SCT x3 programmer or something to flash mine but if you look at the HP gain on even the mustangs and other older fords of the same era the stated gains aren't to impressive and that's on a pony car that is more geared toward performance.
I imagine on a utility vehicle it would even be worse.
It's probably more worth it for the trans pressure and the stupid emission codes then anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
why would it be running?[/QUOTE]

I don't know why but it does, some of the mustangs are the same way. I think the gain would be more on a "utility" vehicle opposed to the mustang because Ford probably doesn't have the mustang as detuned as a truck. BTW I'm using an XCAL2. It made a big difference in mine, best benefit to me was no more CEL due to no cats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts