Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Project 460

5K views 91 replies 25 participants last post by  drexelsteve 
#1 ·
Well i finally started project 460. Pulled the motor out of an 86 f350. only had 43k on the odometer:thumbup Would have done a writeup but there's not really much to it. Pull the motor, clean it up, swap in the bronco:toothless Well i work at a ford stealership so i've got all the right tools, lifts, hoists, etc to get the job done smoothly. (and if i don't have it somebody else does) It's kinda become an unofficial shop project, everybody want's to help. problem with that is i've got 20 guys that all know the a better way to do it.
Couple of minor setbacks, exhaust manifold bolts fawkin snappin:banghead , wrong parts etc... nothin major. Got a few "goodies too". Ordered some exhaust manifolds from www.bishopengine.com Quality of them is awsome!!!except they sent the wrong f@!#king manifold. No big deal, called em up n they've already got the correct one on the way:thumbup Not bad service for $45 a manifold free shipping. Try to beat that price anywhere!!! Would have taken more pic's but i've been workin on the motor inbetween jobs at work and havin a flash goin off all day'd kinda piss off the boss.

the pic's don't doo it justice, it's really not that rusty.

little funky but nuttin a little elbow grease can't fix.

donor rig, for sale, make offer

dana 60 frt.

dually rear, think it's a 10.25

weiand stealth intake

i could practically fist those ports:goodfinge

guess what's in that box, and NO it's not for my girlfriend:D

look at all them tools(sarcasm)

rockin my new fsb stickers, hats off to damager:thumbup

found these pics on my camera, VOTE REPTILLIKUS FOTM:rockon

Well any questions, comments welcome. thinkin of paintin it hotrod green, with black accessory brackets n aircleaner housing, whadya think:shrug

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm using 390 motormounts from a 70-73 f150 2wd. They're shaped like this

basically a rectangle with a hole on each end and a stud in the middle. They kind of match up if you turn them diagionally. You've got to trim the top corner off so they'll clear the exhaust manifolds and you have to elongate the bottom hole so that it will match the hole in the block.

Think i paid about 8bucks for them from ABC discount auto:thumbup

#6 ·
drexelsteve said:
They kind of match up if you turn them diagionally. You've got to trim the top corner off so they'll clear the exhaust manifolds and you have to elongate the bottom hole so that it will match the hole in the block.

Have you held them up to the motor yet? We couldn't get them to look like they would fit, the exhaust manifold was in the way...even with trimming. We finally went with the L&L mounts.

Here's the 390FE mounts...a lil better pic than Steve's drawing. :brownbag

And here's the L&L mounts...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread with my pics. :toothless

#7 ·
it's cool, your pics are much nicer than mine:D Did u have the mounting plate on underneath em?mine line up pretty good, i'll get some pic's when i have the chance.

Not doin a complete teardown, compression's awsome bearings look good, basically just gonna reseal it, timing chain, cam n lifters, weiand intake, new exhaust manifolds, and slap on a coat of paint. I'm gonna wait till after the fall paragon run to swap iit in. Hate to have somethin unexpected come up and there's no sense rushin it. My only deadline is to have it done in time for the East coast fsb meet.

#10 ·
drexelsteve said:
My only deadline is to have it done in time for the East coast fsb meet.
The man has his priorities straight!:thumbup

#11 ·
Leonard said:
sweet man good luck with it if ya need any help give me a holler. with some luck i'll have my 300 rebuilt and in the truck and next spring run wanna do a pull off just for shits and giggles. probably beat me but hell it'd be fun.
Hey Leonard I will have a 300 core that you can rebuild if you need it. It's still in the truck, if you want it once it's out it's yours. It's in a n 86 F150.

Looking good Steve. :thumbup

#13 ·
bnkrtstk said:
Hey Leonard I will have a 300 core that you can rebuild if you need it. It's still in the truck, if you want it once it's out it's yours. It's in a n 86 F150.
thanks for the offer but i've actually got ablock machined and almost everything i need, just need to find time. had everything for about 2 months and only got the crank and one piston in.:cry

#14 ·
BroncoBabe said:
Have you held them up to the motor yet? We couldn't get them to look like they would fit, the exhaust manifold was in the way...even with trimming. We finally went with the L&L mounts.

Here's the 390FE mounts...a lil better pic than Steve's drawing. :brownbag

And here's the L&L mounts...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread with my pics. :toothless
i went that route too, easy install.

#15 ·
little bit of progress today. Pulled the front cover, timing chain, rockers, springs, retainers, arms, lifters, cam. Cleaned the shiz out of the heads n everything i will be reusing. no pics, too boring. So what color u guys think i should paint it. Red or blue are both played out.:shrug

#17 ·
i'm still opting for the hot rod yellow ... that'll look cool :thumbup

#20 ·
what color?

#25 ·
:shocked

oh my god!!! that is UGLY - worse than I thought it was gonna be - don't know why, but never figured you were painting the WHOLE engine green, just parts ....

now i see the whole john deere concept coming into play!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.