Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess it is time for me to contribute to the forums. I am sure this may have been done before, but figured I would share my experiances and what not. I have a 1991 Bronco XLT and am trying to fix her up. She if formerly from New Jersey so she has some rust and other issues. As money is tight with everyone, I figured I would put my 'Budget Bronco' skills to the test.

Well here it goes.....while cruising my local Wal-mart, I found this trunk carpet replacement roll and thought wow, that would make a nice headliner. They had grey and black and since I am trying to totally black out my interior, which is blue for the time being I opted to go with the black roll. I cruised one aisle over and picked up some 3M spray adhesive. So thus far I paid 8.88 for the carpet and 9.98 for the 3M.

Heres a couple pics of the old 17 year old headliner.

I started removing the screws in the trim pieces that held the headliner foam in place.

Don't forget those pesky seat belt holder torx bolts...I think these were T47's if I am not mistaken.

Here is the headliner out and sitting in the garage....man it smelled like death.

I carefully pulled away the old headliner fabric piece from the foam board and noticed a couple cracks. No biggie...the 3M adhesive and masking tape made a good cast to hold it together so to speak.

After letting the adhesive set up, I unrolled the repalcement carpet and draped it over the headliner. There was just enough to cover the width (front to back) and plenty left over as far as length (left to right).

I clamped the fabric in place so it wouldn't slide around on me. I carefully flipped over one side and started spraying down the headliner with the 3M adhesive.

I felt like Spder-Man slinging his web shooters during the project. And yes those are his and hers Harley's in the background, as well as his and hers push mowers!:rockon

After it was all applied I carefully laid they carpet back on to the headliner from the middle out, working any of the wrinkles towards the edge...it was fairly easy and nice to work with.

Started smoothing it all out and did the other side.

With that out of the way I figured I would go ahead and paint the interior pieces that hold the headliner in....like I said I was going black and this stuff goes on easy. Its a flat black fabric and vinyl paint I picked up at the auto parts store for like 6.00 a can.

For some reason, my 12 year old daughter snapped this pic and wanted to post it as well....dunno why but here it is.

Time to trim the excess off the headliner to include the over head light and visor holes.

Reinstall and admire the job well done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna use some of the left over pieces and have my sister-in- law sew some type of make shift pocket to slide them into. We shall see:thumbup

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nice work!

Good find on the cheap-o materials...

Last time I did plastic paint on my interior, I replaced all the mounting hardware with new shiny stuff. I think it cost an extra 3 bucks, but the difference was worth ten times as much.

:beer

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did mine like this before...except I sanded off the old insulator stuff because that stuff is eventually gonna flake off and make your roof sag again. I used headliner fabric though. It held up good until I blew my engine and salvaged it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the awesome writeup. I'm slowly going through my new to me 92 and noticed dripping from the passenger corner after week long rain. As a former state trooper truck there are 5 capped holes in the roof that I need to check out and properly seal. How flimsy is that backing material? Is it cardboard? I'm hoping mine's not all soft and moldy. After your well illustrated "how to" I'm no longer afraid. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for a great writeup! :thumbup

Luckily for me, my local walmart had the same carpet kit. I followed your writeup exactly, and it turned out great! Looks better than a few of the other local restored 80's fords and cost about $18!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,139 Posts
Don't know about him, but this is mine that I did about a year ago..it's held up fine with the old foam, even in the high heat and humidity we have here in FL... probably needed to use a bit more adhesive in a couple of areas, but it's good enough..

Reactions: CZ Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a noob (still considering myself one) I did this today. Kinda on a whim, got irritated w/ the drooping and just drove to Walmart.lol did pretty well for my first real attempt at interior, got a couple of wrinkles but this is a temporary job till I do my flag. Thanks for the write up, followed it word for word.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm thinking of using a flag as my next headliner. Don't know which one yet but I like how I've seen some of them turn out.

·
Registered
89, Broncos, XLT, 5.8L, automatic, manual lockers
26 Posts
Thanks for the awesome writeup. I'm slowly going through my new to me 92 and noticed dripping from the passenger corner after week long rain. As a former state trooper truck there are 5 capped holes in the roof that I need to check out and properly seal. How flimsy is that backing material? Is it cardboard? I'm hoping mine's not all soft and moldy. After your well illustrated "how to" I'm no longer afraid. ;)
The backing is thin fiberglass, it will break if you are not careful

1 - 18 of 18 Posts