Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would go ahead and start a project build thread for my 89 EB Bronco. I had been looking at getting a cheap project truck. I have a part time job that I have to drive on a hilly gravel road to get to. My current DD is a lowered 85 Mustang GT vert. I would like to retire the Mustang from DD duty and restore it. I perused Craig’s list for a while to see if I could find something cheap with a bad motor. I have a few V-8s sitting around. Then while looking at some of the Broncos that were around. I remembered that my Bro-in law had a Eddie Bauer just sitting over at my cousins farm. Back in 2003 he had put a new motor in it and left it for his girlfriend at the time (not my sister) to drive when he went to basic training. The girlfriend didn’t bother to break it in properly and proceeded to drive the snot out of it killing the new motor. He then put another new engine in it but didn’t get it running before deploying to the Persian Gulf with the Navy. After his return he joined the Air National guard , started dating my sister, got married, and then volunteered to go to Iraq. So he had never gotten around to doing anything with the Bronco. When I asked him about it he said go ahead and take it. I was willing to pay a few hundred for it, but he just let me have it. So I owe him a big THANK YOU. Adam, you’re a great American and a great Bro.
This project will probably stretch out over the next couple of years. The goal is to make this truck a nice reliable daily driver, with some customization, because I can’t just leave well enough alone. This is my first full size Ford truck. Other vehicles I have owned: 82 Mustang GT w/T-top; 91, 99 Ext cab Rangers; 92, 98, 02 Explorers.

My plan of attack

1. Get garage ready
2. Haul Bronco home
3. Fix wiring, hoses, etc…
4. Prep engine for start. Hopefully there isn’t anything wrong with it.
5. Go through the rest of the drive train.
6. Pull body and refinish the frame. I don’t know yet whether I will strip everything off the frame or stop with a rolling chassis.
7. Rebuild / Modify suspension
8. Repair, refinish underside of body
9. Put body back on frame for body work
10. Choose a paint color (usually the hardest part of any project)
11. Paint, cut & buff, etc..
12. Interior restoration

Hey look at that. I developed my own 12 step program for Bronco addicts. Although; I’m not sure if I will be in better or worse shape at the end. Obviously I know all of the these steps will include hundreds of little steps to complete. I just wish I could get through it all in a few months, but have to work around time and budget constraints (better known as wife and three kids).

So far I have freed up one rear brake so that It will roll. Removed all the stuff the previous owner left in it and stripped out the carpet.

Now for some pics

I will replace the left quarter panel. It has poorly done rust patches

Right side is in good condition. Due to previous collision damage the quarter panel was replaced. Typically rusty tailgate.

Manually locking hubs

Before carpet removal

After carpet removal

That's it for now I hope to get it home in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
good luck. 85 gt....first year for roller motor, last year carb, first year for 225 hp, take care of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good luck. 85 gt....first year for roller motor, last year carb, first year for 225 hp, take care of it.
Thanks. I have moded the stang with GT40-P heads, E-303 cam, Edlbrock performer 289 intake, BBk long tube headers and H pipe, Flowmasters, and SS tail pipes. I didn't have a digital camera 8 years ago when I first got it so I don't have much for pictures stored on the computer. Here are some taken last summer of my youngest helping me wash it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got the Bronco home on the 3rd of July and haven’t had a chance to post about it yet. So here are some pics.

Got the trailer into position.

The first thing I should have bought for the truck was a winch. The ground actually slopes away from the trailer more than it appears to in this pic.

Ready for the trip home.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To give myself as much room as possible in the garage, I removed the tire carrier. I managed to only snap the head off of one bolt. Which I thought was pretty good considering that several of the bolt shafts were rusted about half way through just under the head.

Before

After

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set off a couple of spray bombs

Kean eyed observers may have noticed, in one of the previous pics, that one of my wheels has changed shades. This is a test. I REPEAT this is ONLY A TEST. I do not plan on painting all of the wheels with rattle can paint. This was just a quick job to see if the paint scheme I am thinking of using looks as good on the wheel as it did in my head. I am looking to save some money through out the build on things that can be changed (upgraded) later. So I am considering keeping the wagon wheels for a while but repainting them with a black center and silver hoop. I have seen some painted black before, but wanted something with a little more pop. The silver I used is flat aluminum. It was all I had on hand. I will probably use a slightly metallic silver if I do it for real.

Crusty rusty white :barf

·
Registered
169 Posts
wheels came out nice man

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moved it into the garage last weekend

A close look at these pics will show that a quick shot from the pressure washer got rid of the moss that had been growing on the fiberglass.

Before putting it inside I pulled off the bed interior panels, pressure washed, and disinfected the inside with Lysol. It was still stinking pretty bad from all the years of being a mouse motel. I knew it would smell up my garage in no time. Now it smells like a clean bathroom.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Floor rust

The floor isn’t in to bad of shape, but will need some repair work.

Both sides look about the same.

Again the right side looks similar.

The left front seat area is in need of some re-repair. It has had cracks welded up before. I will reinforce this area. The right side is still in good shape as seen in the pic in post #1 of this thread.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After getting it into the garage the first thing to go was the hood.

Much better visibility in the engine bay without the hood blocking the light that I hung over the front end.

Next is some picks of some of the interesting things I discovered.

Most of the ignition wires had been severed in several places, but of the three that were still in tacked only one was going to the right cylinder.:doh0715: It also appears that the distributor is clocked about 30 degrees off. I don’t know yet whether it is just twisted that far off or if it is stabbed incorrectly. I haven’t rotated the engine to TDC yet. Either way I have to pull it to prime the oiling system anyway.

Here is a shot of some incorrect vacuum hose routing.:duh Dose anyone know what’s wrong in this pick.
First person to get it right gets……………………….To be Right :chili: Sorry I don’t have any cool prizes to give away.
Unless some one could use a badly chewed engine harness. More on that later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice Project, My dad gave my son a 90 bronco for his first ride. It doesn't have as much rust but he has alot of work ahead of him as you do.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
After getting it into the garage the first thing to go was the hood.

Much better visibility in the engine bay without the hood blocking the light that I hung over the front end.

Next is some picks of some of the interesting things I discovered.

Most of the ignition wires had been severed in several places, but of the three that were still in tacked only one was going to the right cylinder.:doh0715: It also appears that the distributor is clocked about 30 degrees off. I don’t know yet whether it is just twisted that far off or if it is stabbed incorrectly. I haven’t rotated the engine to TDC yet. Either way I have to pull it to prime the oiling system anyway.

Here is a shot of some incorrect vacuum hose routing.:duh Dose anyone know what’s wrong in this pick.
First person to get it right gets……………………….To be Right :chili: Sorry I don’t have any cool prizes to give away.
Unless some one could use a badly chewed engine harness. More on that later.
well for one that green hose should go to the egr not those black hoses, wtf do they go?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts