Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm really excited to be here and getting ready to start the build of my truck but there's some things that i have questions and will be needing some advice.

the specs on it so far is:
3" body lift
1.5" suspension lift
ifs in the front, 9" in the rear
3:55 gears
and the wonderful 302 for an engine.

so now the fun starts

here are the plans for it:

getting rid of that garbage IFS and swapping in the Dana 44
6" spring pack for the rear, 6" coils for the front (reinforcement of the spring plates to avoid them bending), extended radius arms and possible adjustable track bar
going down to 4:10 gears
and after all of that is said and done i'll be riding on 38/12.5/15 Swampers
possible hydro assist steering if the budget permits

so now to give you a bit of background on the type of trails that this truck will be seeing; it's going to be made for alot of mud. i like doing the hills and the twists, but overall i want it to be a mud truck.

I'm fairly new to building and will be doing this build on my own, so please bare with me and my questions.

1) are 4:10's going to be enough wit the 302 and the auto?
2) my dana 44 is out of a 79 bronco and i'm wondering if the radius arms from the 44 are going to be long enough or should i be looking for longer ones?
3) what measurements am i going to have to take to properly mount up the track bar, even if it's the stock track bar from the 44 with out getting the adjustable one?
4) who makes a good soft flexy coil for the front that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg, and i'm from canada too so i have to take into account shipping and duty?

ok i think that's all i have for now but i know that as the build goes on i'm going to be asking alot of questions and posting alot more pics

thanks in advance guys it's greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
1) are 4:10's going to be enough wit the 302 and the auto?
No, i'd go either 4.88 or 5.13

2) my dana 44 is out of a 79 bronco and i'm wondering if the radius arms from the 44 are going to be long enough or should i be looking for longer ones?
its long enough unless u want uBer amount of flex

3) what measurements am i going to have to take to properly mount up the track bar, even if it's the stock track bar from the 44 with out getting the adjustable one?
i suggest getting the adjustable one or a custom one built since i think the stock is too long.
also want the trac bar to be parallel to the steering drag link

4) who makes a good soft flexy coil for the front that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg, and i'm from canada too so i have to take into account shipping and duty?
SuperFlex built by Deaver can be ordered from www.broncograveyard.com . they are suppose to be really soft and flexy.

something u want to think about...38's are pretty big for 1/2 ton axles. might want to look into upgrading to 1 tons or really really beef up those 1/2 ton axles.

u sure u have a 9" rear? they never came stock on a 95 bronco.

·
Banned
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a friend look at it and yes it is the 8.8 i guess that's all part of learning and to never trust that i'm told when i buy a vehicle.

but this is a learning curve for me so that's why i'm here so i can learn more about the truck.

so now it looks like i'm gonna have to swap out the rear as well.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
a 9" rear would be difficult to fit in the back of ur bronco since u need a VSS which is like a sensor on ur rear axle that works with the computer. without that ur bronco is going to drive like junk. u can go with a 8 lug 1 ton 10.25 rear end which has all the VSS hook up. just not sure which year and etc u need to do the swap, but i'm sure someone here can help u out on that.

·
Banned
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"VSS which is like a sensor on ur rear axle that works with the computer"

can that sensor be explained to me further?

and i've also heard that there are ways to beef up the 8.8 instead of having to do another swap does anyone know anything about that?

·
I ♥ TTB
4,274 Posts
Kitty said:
"VSS which is like a sensor on ur rear axle that works with the computer"

can that sensor be explained to me further?

and i've also heard that there are ways to beef up the 8.8 instead of having to do another swap does anyone know anything about that?
You might shoot Shadofax a PM, he's running a D60 rear and can explain the VSS stuff I'm sure. His 8.8 was built, I can't recall how much but by the time you've beefed up the 8.8 you'd probably have more cash tied up into than if you did a swap...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts