Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Project Pepe' Trans swap

5K views 79 replies 21 participants last post by  highhorse78 
#1 ·
Ok all you 78/79 guys.
I apologize in advance for my ignorance. :whiteflag

I need a complete list of all the parts we will need to complete a manual to Automatic Conversion on our Pepe' Project LePew Bronco.

I know we will need.
Transmission C6 -
Trans Crossmember Same for manual
Tranny mounts
Automatic pedal assembly - bmc69

Automatic Steering column

Linkage - BMC69 & Fordfilly

Transfer Case Adapter

vacuum modulator tube from the intake manifold - Ranger429
Neutral safety switch harness. - Ranger429
Dipstick tube. - Ranger429
Tranny cooler lines - AUTO PARTS STORE? 5/16" X 60" LINE BEND TO FIT?

Transmission cooler - Ranger429

front and rear driveshaft
Flexplate

Dog house cover without hole for the 4sp. shifter. - bmc69
Long Tailshaft Adapter - NAMELESS
Vacuum Booster - NAMELESS
Alignment Dowels on Bellhousing ?

Flywheel? Any difference between the two?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance guys,
I know you will have the answers!:rockon

:beer

See less See more
#12 ·
Well I think we can get a little of that.

I just buy a few beers and you losers will show! :goodfinge

Thanks for the info. :beer

#4 ·
There's two C6's. Long tailshaft and short tailshaft. If it has an NP205, you need the long tailshaft. If it has an NP203 or you're doing a doubler, you need the short tailshaft trans. You also need the t-case adapter for the corresponding trans, so the t-case mount will line up with the holes in the frame and the t-case shifter will line up with the hole in the floor. There's only one trans crossmember. It's the same for all transmission options. You need both the front and rear driveshaft. You also need the vacuum modulator tube from the intake manifold and the neutral safety switch harness. Don't forget the dipstick tube. You need the tranny cooler lines and make sure the radiator has ports for the cooler lines. Oh yeah, you need the dog house cover that doesn't have a hole for the 4 spd. shifter.

#7 ·
But a column swap is cake and I have plenty of auto non-tilt columns around, and .. Might even have a spare auto tilt one..with the cruise control buttons and wood grain wheel...will look.

also have plenty of the tranny hump covers for auto trucks 78/79. And the auto brake pdeal assys..and..and..too much chit around here.:thumbup

That kind of stuff I don't mind shipping. I have the auto tranny and T-case too..but that would cost a bundle to send out there.

What kind of shape are the fenders and rest of the doghouse in?

#8 ·
Depending on the tail lenghth you would either shortn or lengthn the drive shaft. (Spelling sucks:toothless) Thats what I did. I have the longer tailshaft adapter I can give up if thats what you want.

Dont forget all the linkage for the column, easier and cooler to do a floor shifter mod:thumbup

#13 ·
Depending on the tail lenghth you would either shorten or lengthen the drive shaft. (Spelling sucks:toothless) Thats what I did. I have the longer tailshaft adapter I can give up if thats what you want.

Dont forget all the linkage for the column, easier and cooler to do a floor shifter mod:thumbup
Cool I will put you down for that so hang on to it for us until I can pick it up. :beer

#27 ·
I was hoping to find a Tilt Column since Pepe' has a similar condition to Cotton from "King of The Hill" :goodfinge <---- for Pepe' not you Justin

I will keep that offer in mind though.
A non-tilt column is still better than NO column. :beer

#26 ·
What are you using for the Transmission? the reason I ask is that the out-put shafts are different between two wheel drive trans and four wheel drive trans. I had to swap shafts when I swapped in a 351w in my 78 and used a two wheel trans. ( yes it is now 4whl)
Don't know if 1Clean's response answered the qustion or not.

#32 ·
I've done a manual to automatic conversion on a 2wd. Make sure you get the right flywheel and your going to need the alignment dowels on each side of the bellhousing or your going to break the flywheel every 2 months. Happened to me twice before I figured out what it was.

#33 ·
It has a 205, and all of the sheet metal is clean and undamaged.

If someone has a gas filler tube that goes to the tank, they really need that, too.

Also, it MAY need a vacuum booster.

If you have a tune up parts (cap, rotor, plug wires, etc), that will help, too. The cap is really leaky (ask me how I know...)

If you have any of those shouldered lug nuts that Ford was in love with, it needs a bunch of those, too.

I have actually driven thisd truck around the block. It's fun with the 435.

I have square headlights and buckets I took off a 79. Those go with it.

It could use a dash, but the one that's in there isn't all that bad.

Uh...leseeeeeeee.......

It had a stereo, once......the wiring all seems to still be there, but the head unit and amps are gone. The sub is till there, but I don't know if it disintegrated from sitting in the dry heat for so long.

This is a California truck, so it has emissions and a catalytic converter.

There's more, I'm sure.

If I think of it I'll post up.

#39 ·
Wires we will likely replace with new but the distibutor we could probably use.
Did Pete mention a problem with the distributor?
I thought I remembered him saying the cap being cracked or something to that effect.

Of course once we get the Bronc in our posession we will do a complete inspection and the make a complete list of ALL parts needed.
:beer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.