more as i go along.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
What is it? Just an old steelie?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Is that really worth the effort? If so, think about whether you want to make a small backspacing change while at it.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
what are you doing for centers? how will you check for run out? you got a jig to get it all even??

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
thejuice said:
Is that really worth the effort? If so, think about whether you want to make a small backspacing change while at it.
Maybe it is in Canada. My 15" 8 lugs with 2.5" bs were only $42ish each plus shipping, so it wouldn't be worth it to me........but I agree it's a kinda cool project and building/modding your own stuff is always cool

I also agree with AX, seems you might want to make a way to hold the wheel center at a given height and and lock it down.... if it pulls much while tacking you could be looking at a wheel that's impossible to balance.

Take an old wb hub and set it up on some sort of vertically adjustable screw mechanism so you can select your backspacing and do other wheels in the future. The catch, of course, is making sure it's perfectly square to the horizontal surface you'd mount it on.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
or a block of wood cut to the length you want with some studs in it an a couple of wingnuts to hold it down.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Keith_L said:
... My 15" 8 lugs with 2.5" bs were only $42ish each plus shipping, ....

A little off topic, but where pray tell did you get these bargains Keith? :D

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,607 Posts
theyre probably just plain old steel rims. I got a set of 15*8s for my bro's truck from a local 4x4 shop for $45/wheel. Cash. (No tax) :thumbup

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
metalsmith said:
A little off topic, but where pray tell did you get these bargains Keith? :D
Yeah, they're just basic steel wheels made by US Wheel ordered thru Rocky Road Outfitters, but I see they've raised their prices. I think mine were actually $48 each, I'd have to see if I could dig up the invoice, but they're now up to $50:

http://www.rocky-road.com/wheels.html

I've got the Series 70

And they were cheaper 'cause I got 15x7's..... 15x8 and 15x10 the price goes up several dollars per wheel.

So I guess NOBS is saving easily over $200......so long as they come out true it could be worth it. NOBS, how did you cut out the centers, particularly the 8 lug centers you'll be re-using? And did the 8 lug centers come from a 16 or 16.5? or?

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those are 15x10 AR's. the new centers will be cut from 1/4 plate a bit oversized. they will be machined down to size at a buddy's(Paul G.) school(tool&die). I'll make the jig out of channel in the shape of + and have pipe split in 1/4's sticking up for the hub hole.unless someone can show me a better idea.

I hit the welds with a grinder and pressed out the centers on a 50 ton press @camrock,whizzy's brother

why? . cause I can and I like to tinker.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Grinding the welds and pressing out the centre worked out really well. There is much less chance of damaging the wheel than using a torch or plasma cutter. Makes a hell of a lot of noise when you press it out though.
: pluggingears:

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grinding the welds and pressing out the centre worked out really well.
probably less actual work than taking the tsl off the rim ;)

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Mike you never cease to amaze me. Great project idea. I hope it turns out perfect.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know about perfect....close will be fine. :toothless

I changed my mind on the material for the wheel mounting surface.I went with 3/8" instead of 1/4. I spent some time at the metal yard jumping up and down on 1/4" plate and decided it wasn't strong enough. what i cut out was 3/16" but it was stamped and formed for strength.

Time management is the problem now,and running out of acetylene.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
you can also buy lazer or water jet or plasma cut centers. did you see that jig that they had on the site i posted? i got a buddy that works at a power plant that thinks he can get me a plate like that. then im looking into recentering some hummer rims for myself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts