Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the other day that my front cat was going....hearing a loud rattling inside. I bought this from Catco as a direct replacement. After I do the install in the AM I will post my results.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey thats nice, did you do the bending and welding?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
That looks like a viable alternative to doing it yourself !

Good work Streetgang, let us know the price too.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didnt build it up. I bought it as is from a site called ecatalyticconverter.com.

It is a catco unit PN 9303 sold as a direct replacement for the OEM two cat set up.....I think it was $188 (USD) before shipping...

I am hoping to get it installed first thing in the morning......if I can grab the lift for a hour or so......if not, it will have to wait until Friday AM. After I get it all up and in, I will post what I think of it.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
what size?
dual 2.25" in / single 2.25" out
:shrug

That isn't big enough for me :(
But it's still cool for the stock folks

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
From the lack of that offending "S" bend that goes upward to clear the stock crossmember I'd guess it fits entirely above the crossmember, which is definately desireable.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fireguy50 said:
I see you have a 5.0L
do they make a 5.8L as well?
Yea.....2.25, but thats fine for now until I go with a complete exhaust w/headers in the Spring. Then this set up with the Flo 40, and new cat will go on another FSB(I always need more than one FSB).

I dont remember if it was available for 5.8L units or not.....I dont want to tell you yes, and then they dont have it.

I wanted to ask you about my ABS.....did you see my post below?
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28057

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Streetgang said:
Yea.....2.25, but thats fine for now until I go with a complete exhaust w/headers in the Spring. Then this set up with the Flo 40, and new cat will go on another FSB(I always need more than one FSB).

I dont remember if it was available for 5.8L units or not.....I dont want to tell you yes, and then they dont have it.

I wanted to ask you about my ABS.....did you see my post below?
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28057
Shorties should bolt right onto that Y-pipe, as long as it bolts right onto your manifold balls.

I like the fact it has a balancing tube as well. Even if you wanted to go out to a 3" single further down stream, it almost makes sense to buy this system just to get the balance tube and dual 2 1/4" pipes that fit so well up over the crossmember, eliminating that awful stock "S" bend.

I'm picturing cutting the pipes off far enough upstream to allow the 2 into 1 Flowmaster I used (17 1/2") and then a single 3" cat again(14"). Looking at the picture in the proficient site it shows the pipes seperate of the cat, imagine being able to buy just the pipes !!

Does anyone have a direct link to the official Catco website ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
Excellent work Streetgang !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SquattyD said:
what other survival supplies do you have from the department of defense?
Quite a bit of both vintage and current issue equpt, but with enough ammo, and one handgun.....you can get anything you could possibly need if things got ugly.....after 911 living within 2 miles of(and working in NYC) the #1 terrorist target in the US aint no joke to me anymore. No joke at all.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,879 Posts
i just emailed them it doesnt appear that they make one for the 5.8 in a bronco. they do for an f150 but is a couple inches shorter and looks more like the stock setup type vs the 2 into 1 like how the 5.0 one is. i will let you know what they say.

late

·
Registered
176 Posts
I called Catco and they do not sell directly to the public and they don't have a website up yet...it will be: www.catcoconverter.com, but not yet.
They said the system does not come in seperate components but I'll bet you could make some $$ back on Ebay selling the cat, if you didn't have to use it. :beer
The down pipes with the balance tube are perfect though and running them into the Flowmaster Y-pipe with 3" back should be perfect...I'll let you know :thumbup

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check this out: Flowmaster makes a 70 series Big Block II muffler (part# 524703, www.flowmastermuffleers.com) with DUAL 2.25" inlets and single 3" outlet...Connect this muffler (I'm using flanges for easy removal) to the Catco downpipes and then full 3" straight out the stock tailpipe location! :shocked

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Bull 1 said:
Check this out: Flowmaster makes a 70 series Big Block II muffler (part# 524703, www.flowmastermuffleers.com) with DUAL 2.25" inlets and single 3" outlet...Connect this muffler (I'm using flanges for easy removal) to the Catco downpipes and then full 3" straight out the stock tailpipe location! :shocked
That sounds like a plan whose time has come

Better make sure the flowmaster isn't that much wider or taller than the Catco cat as things don't start to open up until after the transfer case crossmember (space is tight until then). Of course you could always lengthen the 2 1/4" pipes even more if you had to.

Thanks for checking up on that Catco official website, good to know. There are companies that make 3" tailpipes but nobody's is cheap and most, like Summit, don't want to sell it seperately.

Dynomax does make a mandrel bent 2 1/2"(reasonably enough for me to have bought it).

I wonder what it would take to get them to tool up for a 3" mandrel bent for us?

Otherwise you could neck back down to 2 1/2" and fit into the Dynomax tailpipe or all the way down to 2 1/4" if you want. The other option is I'll bet Walker or Flowmaster or someone makes a muffler that goes in with twin 2 1/4"s and leaves at 2 1/2" so you can fit directly into the 2 1/2" Dynomax tailpipe.

Lets face it, that's a 302 not a 460 or warmed up 351 so 2 1/2" should do it IMO

Sixlitre

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah, you would have to run a couple of intermediate 2.25" pipes back to locate the Flowmaster about where the stock muffler goes. Besides, this would still utilize the stock heat shields under the body.
Flowmaster makes a tailpipe kit that they claim is for a 91-95 Bronco w/302-351. The Flowmaster part# is 15901 for 2.5" and #15902 for 3". They also make a Flowmaster muffler with dual 2.25" inlets and single 2.5" outlet in the 50 series SUV Performance.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sixlitre said:
That sounds like a plan whose time has come

Better make sure the flowmaster isn't that much wider or taller than the Catco cat as things don't start to open up until after the transfer case crossmember (space is tight until then). Of course you could always lengthen the 2 1/4" pipes even more if you had to.

Thanks for checking up on that Catco official website, good to know. There are companies that make 3" tailpipes but nobody's is cheap and most, like Summit, don't want to sell it seperately.

Dynomax does make a mandrel bent 2 1/2"(reasonably enough for me to have bought it).

I wonder what it would take to get them to tool up for a 3" mandrel bent for us?

Otherwise you could neck back down to 2 1/2" and fit into the Dynomax tailpipe or all the way down to 2 1/4" if you want. The other option is I'll bet Walker or Flowmaster or someone makes a muffler that goes in with twin 2 1/4"s and leaves at 2 1/2" so you can fit directly into the 2 1/2" Dynomax tailpipe.

Lets face it, that's a 302 not a 460 or warmed up 351 so 2 1/2" should do it IMO

Sixlitre
Hey Six,

You got a part number for that tailpipe? so far you've been a wealth of info to me during my exhaust project. I should be able to get you pictures of that flowmaster Y pipe tonight.

One question though, I got the 3'' Y pipe from flowmaster, would it be better to go 3'' all the way back to the rear? or is 3'' too big for the bends and curves. Would I get more performance by going back down to 2 1/2 for the tailpipe?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
muddy4x4 said:
Hey Six,

You got a part number for that tailpipe? so far you've been a wealth of info to me during my exhaust project. I should be able to get you pictures of that flowmaster Y pipe tonight.

One question though, I got the 3'' Y pipe from flowmaster, would it be better to go 3'' all the way back to the rear? or is 3'' too big for the bends and curves. Would I get more performance by going back down to 2 1/2 for the tailpipe?
Muddy4X4

the part number is WLK-45569 and any place that sells Walker mufflers can order it for you. It cost me $31 American, but I'm told it's over $40 now. Still affordable IMO for a mandrel bent larger (2 1/2" vs crimped 2 1/4" stocker) tailpipe that exits perfectly for Broncos.

In my newest system I went down to 2 1/2" after the 3" header flange on the back of the 3" Cat.

Honestly the biggest improvement occured with the new Y-pipe and larger single cat. Remember it was hooked straight back up to the stock style crimped, rusted 2 1/4" muffler and tailpipe and still blew my mind with the much improved take off and mileage.

Later with the 2 1/2" muffler and mandrel bent tailpipe, no measureable improvement in mileage or performance.

It will also be cheaper and easier to find and fit mandrel bent tailpipes and muffler in 2 1/2" than 3". That said I'm always looking for a cheap 3" mandrel bent tailpipe from a purely image standpoint.

I'd probably neck up from my 2 1/2" muffler until she's rusted out and then go 3" from the back of the cat all the way out. People here have warned me 3" all the way is a waste on a 302 and they're probably correct.

I just love that 3" look I have at the end of my tailpipe now;

With that Walker truck muffler nobody believes it's not a 351 (deep sound).

Hey Bull1

Thanks for that 3" part number I'm gonna price it and see if it can be bought seperately, I need the bling !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
493 Posts
Six,

Heres those pictures of the Y pipe you wanted:

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Thanks Muddy4X4

ain't that a work of flow-art ? Maybe that's why they're called Flowmaster.

Much obliged

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 48 Posts