Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for anytime you send to help me out. If you see something that is wrong please point it out. MLA format. My email is [email protected] if you have comments to send me. Thanks again, Steve

Affirmative Action - The Ignorant Choice.
Why do people question one kind of discrimination but not another? Why if in this countries laws it is forbidden to discriminate or favor people does it happen and promoted by conflicting legislature? The major reason is politics. Politicians only want deal with issues that make them look good in the public spotlight, and affirmative action reform is not one of those topics. Consequently, until change happens discrimination will continue and prejudice will be thriving. The root of this problem is an antiquated system unfortunately still in place today. Because of affirmative action minorities have been given advantages, while hard working majority have been denied from what they rightfully earned.
Back in the early nineteen hundreds most minorities were receiving some form of discrimination against them. It was due to the discrimination that some people took a stand about what was going on. Women along with minorities of the time had public figures whom spoke out against how they were treated. These activists spoke out about how they deserved to be treated better then how they were being treated. Then, back in 1964, the current President, Lyndon B. Johnson set forth the Civil Rights Act. The act guaranteed equality and prohibited discrimination based on race, as Belz explains (1).
Affirmative action only helps out minorities, and that is just one of the many reasons why it is an unjust system. In the latest study by Stephen Cole and Elinor Barber, a team of sociologists and renowned scholars, they confirmed, “… there are important negative consequences of the widespread effort by elite and selective institutions to admit black students whose academic achievements fall far those of the majority of students admitted (Glazer 1). The minorities are rewarded for underachieving and told by affirmative action that doing less and being a minority is actually better than trying your best. In recent surveys, the limited supply of black students who receive above par marks not only on tests, but even counting grades in general, are such a rarity that the positions that these black people can expect to fill is slim (Hall 1). Minorities are receiving jobs they are under qualified for due to ethnicity only. An ill of establishments using affirmative action is people who are qualified for the job yet denied and left out in the cold looking for a job. By using that prejudice establishments are creating tension and creating hostility toward minorities.
The way affirmative action is applied just shows the ignorance behind what it has become. Just for the person to show they are a minority on the application they are assessed points. Test scores can average lower for the minorities but only due to the fact of ethnicity they are rewarded. As a result, applications in general are favored for minorities much more that somebody of a majority with substantially higher tests scores. Schools are the worst when it comes to admitting under qualified minorities. Many higher institutions use a point scale and access points to minorities to bring up the acceptance rate. In a recent ruling based on a case where a denied white applicant sued the University of Michigan for an unfair admission process the result was a landfall decision:
“The [Supreme] Court rejected as too mechanistic Michigan’s undergraduate affirmative action programme that automatically gave under-represented groups a 20 point bonus on the 150-point scale. Similarly, a percentage or quota rule was deemed as ‘patently unconstitutional’. Race or other attributes discriminated against, should be taken into account as an additional factor …without being the defining feature. (Victory 2)
For admissions minorities who are perceived as underprivileged are given an advantage over the majorities. Extra points are accessed to the application process for no other reason but for being a minority. The universities strive for the status quo of minority students attending to not appear as politically incorrect. By helping the less fortunate affirmative action is hurting the deserving by shunning them for not being a minority.
Again at the offices of perspective employers affirmative action is applied. All corporate companies hire minorities at a ratio to nonminorities. Some of the companies even look for minorities in a certain age bracket. In some cases in does not matter that an under qualified is hired to fill up the status quo, but in some occasions you want that qualified individual working a specific job, not cast out due to affirmative action.
Affirmative action has outlived its usefulness. Society now views it as an antiquated system. Although useful at one time, it is a very prejudicial system and stirs up discontent when applied. The civil right movement has brought positive change such as the Civil Rights act, and the Constitutions equal protection clause, which prohibits racial discrimination against people from those who receive federal funds.

The lasting effect of affirmative action that gives the movement a blemish is how affirmative action is used.
The advantages from being minorities with affirmative action still in play cause minorities to be viewed as inferior. If minorities are in need of such help something must be wrong with that group of people is the prevailing viewpoint of society. Many would question if specific color cars received cheaper fuel than cars of the other colors, yet affirmative action only has a handful of opponents and roadblocks. With the tension around the subject many politicians calculate it easier to forget about the topic. By doing so you only cause the Beast of Burden to grow larger and larger by consuming the innocent majorities.
Due to the perks of affirmative action discrimination thrives in the country. Everybody in some form has been affected by affirmative action. Moreover, in most cases the minority has been given the upper hand and the majority has received prejudice. The institutions are trying to stay politically correct by keeping within the status quo. Unfortunately, if you are the victim of the prejudice no solution is available to cure it, nor stop it from reoccurring. To extinguish this antiquated system would cause the field to be level for all participants involved. In construction, when an old stretch of road with many areas causing concern and in need of fixing, the people demand it to repaired until it is finally fixed, yet only until the greedy hand of affirmative action touches you, it is not even given the time of day. Until something is done people will be unjustly enriched and unjustly deprived based solely on if you fall into one category or the other.

·
Super Moderator
14,725 Posts
Change the title, or I guarantee you're going to piss someone off. Use something like Affirmative Action - Why It Won't Work.. or Affirmative Action - Quotas versus Quality.. Just a suggestion.

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is supposed to be a controversial paper so why not a controversial title. It stays I am sorry. but if the work it self sucks that I will change.

·
Prettier Than You
862 Posts
Are the sources you listed the only ones you used? Or are there more you paraphrased from that just weren't listed?

I guess what I'm curious about is whether the information is your opinion or someone else's? Which leads me to my next question - what kind of assignment/essay is it - compare/contrast, narrative, argumentative, analysis, etc.

Because the problem that comes about - actually, regardless of what type of essay/paper it is - if those are your opinions in the paper, they need to be backed up by something. No matter what you write, when it's an academic paper, always back everything up. It validates your point and make the entire paper and position much stronger and you ESPECIALLY need that with a topic like affirmative action.

For instance, you're strong on the school sources, but you need information for the company's and hiring practices. Anyone reading this paper as a source would not neccessarily believe anything you stated about company hiring practics because there is nothing backing it up.

As far as the title goes - my only advice to keep it is if this is a paper where you were specifically told to pick one side or the other and argue for it or against. If you were just told to analyze the effect affirmative action (or a controversial issue) has on society or something similair to that, I would lose it only because the title gives away your position. Unless you are specifically asked to argue your position, it doesn't need to be so blatant in the title.

Am I making sense here?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i think we found the teacher of the board!!!
Kallure

so if i email my paper to u will ya proofread it!!!

i suck when it comes to english that is why i am going for engineering since it only involves english when a report is required!!

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I started to edit it for you, but I can't stay focused. However, there are several punctuation problems and run on sentences. Also, fyi, you need 2 spaces after periods. I like the topic though. If you use MS Word, it will show you were you have a few grammer errors and misspelling. Some words should probably be hyphenated like "nonminorities" should probably be non-minorities. Just read over it again. You should be ok.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
gobucs1 said:

All corporate companies hire minorities at a ratio to nonminorities.
Say most or alot but don't use all.....

gobucs1 said:
Many would question if black cars received cheaper fuel than cars of the other colors, yet affirmative action only has a handful of opponents.
Use another color for your car analogy, red, green,purple, who cares..just not black.

Just my .02

:beer

·
Prettier Than You
862 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
Also, fyi, you need 2 spaces after periods.
Not neccessarily - it depends on what style his professor has asked for. MLA style is the most common in the academic world and dictates two periods. Most of my professors wanted that. However, I had a few classes that wanted Chicago style, which really screwed me up.

MLA is more accepted for literature, arts and the humanities whereas Chicago is used with 99% of real world publishing, i.e. magazines, books, newspapers and other "non-scholarly" work.

I do agree about the run-on sentences - that's part of what makes it difficult to stay focused. Also, there's a lot of repetition, more of words than ideas, but there is a bit of both. General rule of thumb:

Never repeat a word in a paragraph unless absolutely neccessary. I'm not talking common words, like the or and, but more descriptive words, in your case, words such as minorities, discrimination, prejudice. I know that's your subject, but if you find yourself using the words over and over again in a paragraph, then you may need to sit down and rework your ideas in order to find a better way to say it.

Also, quick thought, watch your tense. In this case:
"Consequently, until change happens discrimination will continue and prejudice will be thriving."
Prejudice "will" thrive - it needs to match with the rest of the sentence.

Good trick too - read it aloud to yourself. Anything that doesn't sound right or doesn't roll off the tongue right, mark it and continue reading. Then when you're done, go back and make changes and keep doing this until you are satisfied with how it sounds.

Originally posted by Cody
i think we found the teacher of the board!!!
Kallure so if i email my paper to u will ya proofread it!!!
Not a teacher, just always loved English, did very well in it and took enough writing classes to be able to minor in English, probably.

I don't mind proofreading, just can't do it 24/7. Send me the paper - just promise you'll return the favor when I decided to go to grad school!! :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Kallure i am not an english professor but some consider me a math professor. right now it is algebra and calculus that i am doing the greatest in. so any time u need help let me know!!!

i can do the basic math just some of that weird formula that in calculus we got an easier way of doing it!!!

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
revised version just put up. I will try to "repay" you to the best of my ability just say what. Should be MLA format, 5-6 pages. And for those who asked about the topic, i was given it, to agrue a side, I can only use three sources. Of those they must be Jan 1 2000 or newer. I have to submit fulltext sources when handed in. I know it is crappy, and short but I am working on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts