Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yah, but not too practicle in the US since there is little support for propane vehicles. I checked in my area and there are two propane filling areas that support vehicles. In both cases I would have to drive 25 mi out of my way just to fill up. You would definately have to pay attention to it and plan fill ups ahead of time. Can't just stop at any gas station. Also, I checked out areas and routes I normally take while traveling and support is sparse. I hear that is different in Canada, but the big gas companies here aren't too interested in supporting alternative fuels.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
For sure propane is very readily avaiable up here in Canada for cars. My second bronco was powered by both gasoline and natural gas. Natural gas stations around here are like propane stations around your area, Seabronc. I ended up taking out the natural gas system because it wasn't working right, wasn't worth fixing and worst of all had 2 huge tanks that took up the whole space behind the back seat.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
eh propane is very sparce indeed. that and if you switch from the propane (what me and my dad did with his 87 f350) you will need to run a higher octane fuel like 93+ as his truck runs like absolute crap on low grade. and we converted it from propane to gas. used to be an ameriagas service truck

·
Registered
611 Posts
waltman said:
For sure propane is very readily avaiable up here in Canada for cars. 2 huge tanks that took up the whole space behind the back seat.
Where are your Propane tanks mounted? How much space do they take?

:thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
i saw a ford built(prototype) F150 5.4 supercharged full hydrogen powered trucked like 3 weeks ago at work. They were in the process of testing it, kinda crazy it only put out water from the tailpipe.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dustin said:
i saw a ford built(prototype) F150 5.4 supercharged full hydrogen powered trucked like 3 weeks ago at work. They were in the process of testing it, kinda crazy it only put out water from the tailpipe.
That's the beauty of hydrogen :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
by any chance, was the entire pickup bed filled with the required systems for the hydrogen???

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
miketrains03 said:
by any chance, was the entire pickup bed filled with the required systems for the hydrogen???

yes along with tons of computer hardware and monitoring systems inside. lots of crao under the hood I had no clue what it was

·
Registered
784 Posts
yea...thats the problem w/ hydrogen

·
Registered
40 Posts
.. my car is powered by propane.
I live in Belgium in Europe and here we have propane stations at each street corner.
You can divide gasoline price by three to have the propane's price.
The propane parts come from USA, only Impco the best trade mark and technology for V8 engine. You can lose 0 to 5% of power.
Your consumption is always 10% more propane than gasoline (due to the density of propane).
I removed the gasoline tank and put a propane tank 110 liter.
I made a new little gazoline tank of 45 liter, and install it up rear drive shaft between transfer case and rear axle.

·
Registered
611 Posts
miketrains03 said:
yea...thats the problem w/ hydrogen
Right ;) . Along with the truck truck driver you would have to pay to follow you across country on a trip. Unfortunately there is only lip service in the US when it comes to alternative fuels.

By the way fuel cell vehicle may not be too practicle yet, but it will get there. However, propane is practical if it is supported like it is in some other countries.

:thumbup

·
Registered
784 Posts
if i were to buy a fuel saving car, it'd be the new honda civic sedan. gasonline electric 50mpg. seems to be the best alternative out there right now.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
blackbroncoxlt65 said:
what is gas milage or propane milage in one of those????
My brothers last car was powered by propane and although I can't tell you off hand the distance he would travel per tank, but I remember him bragging to me that he spent at least half what he would on a gasoline powered car.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
So is this done via a kit, or pieces all thrown together? What's the final cost in switching? There are 4 fill stations within 5 miles of my house and 12 within 10 miles (according to the nrel site). Since the truck is only light trail, towing, and secondary driver (if/when the saab is under the knife), would it be cost effective to switch over?

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
I wouldn't know the cost, but it isn't something you can do yourself. I believe you need to be certified to instll a propane system.
I wouldn't install propane on something you are going to take out into the bush. You have less range with propane compared to gasoline for the same size tank.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hrm. I'm assuming those kits are plain gas propane, not liquid. Also they're only for carb systems, so I'm assuming all they do is run propane lines in place of gas lines to a sealed carb or similar... Do EFI setups have any issues with running at weird angles (assuming you have a strong fuel pump)?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts