Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a 500 gal home storage tank for propane so that I can get away from being "chained" to one dealer. Nothing has come along that I could afford, but at the place I go to get my steel (used) there are three anhydrous ammonia tanks. Reading the tags that are on them, theres no indication that they shouldnt be used for propane.

Any reason I can't/should'nt??

As a bonus, at least one of them has some ammonia left in it, so if someone could get me the recipie, I could cook me up a batch of meth to pay for the first propane fill-or get some skank:chili:

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
Most propane sellers won't fill anything but their tanks.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
yes you can use a NH3 nurse tank for L.P. storage, we have one at one of our grain elevators that we use for the shop to fuel the furnace. BE REAL CAREFUL WITH NH3 GREAT CHANCES OF LOSING EYE SIGHT & LUNG DAMAGE CAN OCURR IF HANDLE INCORRECTLY. i have filled NH3 nurse tanks for 10 yrs and never once been hurt due to yearly saftey training that is required of us. i see a farmer every morning that is 100% blind due to not wearing saftey goggles. ALLWAYS WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES & RUBBER GLOVES WHEN HANDLING NH3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make sure you remove all NH3/Anhydrous Ammonia labels and then label it L.P. just incase the fire dept. is ever called for an emergency.

read up on how to handle NH3 before you attempt to remove the product from the tank, most places arent going to let you discharege the NH3 into the atmosphere were there is a chance of someone getting hurt. like in town. DO NOT TRY TO UNSCREW THE BELLY PLUG UNTIL ALL THE PRESSURE IS OUT OF TANK, most tanks have between 50 -100 lbs of pressure in them depending on how the outdoors temp is. BE AWARE THIS IS A LIQUIDFIED NITROGEN AND IS REAL COLD AND WILL BURN ANYTHING THAT HAS MOISTURE IN IT. IT WILL SUCK ALL THE MOISTURE OUT OF YOUR EYES AND SHIVEL THEM UP if you get a real good blast in the face. cant stress enough on saftey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! read up on all facts you can find about ANHYDROUS AMMONIA/NH3 BEFORE YOU HANDLE IT. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LARGE AMOUNT OF FRESH WATER NEARBY INCASE YOU NEED TO FLUSH EYES OR SKIN DUE TO EXPOSURE, BELEIVE ME YOU WILL NEED TO IMMEDIATLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you a farmer? if not you may want to find out the legal aspect of buying a NH3 nurse tank that has remaining amount left. i think you need a permit to transport a NH3 tank. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.

·
Registered
160 Posts
scott is right NH3 can kill you we have a fewNH3 tanks converted tp propane use. ask your supplier if you buy the tank you are useing now. and if you go ot the NH3 tank be very careful. and keep in mind that you will need to chande the valves in the nurse tank.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
NH3 is a key ingredient in one of the meth making processes. I'm sure you could sell any of the NH3 left in the tank to some tweaker, lol.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i heard that some tweakers pay as much as $500.00 for a 25 lb L.P. tank of NH3. made me think a couple secs of setting some aside when i was filling tanks during fertilizer season!!!!!!!!!!!!! but all the trouble isnt worth going to jail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
just another note, probably not a good idea to announce to the world that you might sell the ammonia for illegal purposes if you are actually going to do it. :toothless

But we all know that nothing like that would ever happen.:thumbup

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Lately I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a 500 gal home storage tank for propane so that I can get away from being "chained" to one dealer. Nothing has come along that I could afford, but at the place I go to get my steel (used) there are three anhydrous ammonia tanks. Reading the tags that are on them, theres no indication that they shouldnt be used for propane.

Any reason I can't/should'nt??

As a bonus, at least one of them has some ammonia left in it, so if someone could get me the recipie, I could cook me up a batch of meth to pay for the first propane fill-or get some skank:chili:
You need to call Erik (Traveler) silly. You must of forgot he works for a chemical company :beer

Also if it needs to be transported he has all of the hazmat endorsements on his CDL. :rockon

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Most propane sellers won't fill anything but their tanks.
In Iowa we contract out every year for propane and you can have any company you want pretty much come out and fill it. Just buy it before winter and sign a contract to lock in the rate if you think rates will increase (which they normally do during winter). Just how it works out here.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have three suppliers in the immediate vicinity- If I have my own tank, ANY of them will fill it, but if I rent a tank from one of them (like I currently am) only that company will fill it, and I have had it with that company repeatedly trying to screw me over on price!!

I am already aware of the dangers of Ammonia- I work in a plant with a HUGE refrigeration system and was on the emergency response team for a few years, but the warning couldnt hurt in case someone else that doesnt know any better reads this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
One of the biggest things everyone overlooks when owning their own tank is testing.
At some point the propane companies will look at it and say, it hasn't been tested in 5 years, we refuse to fill it. Then you have to hire someone to come test it. Which in some cases mean hauling it off to a shop somewhere. Depends on how shady the guy is doing the testing.
Then even after the tests, and cost there of, you also have to pay for any valves or gauges.

Owning vs. renting is a tough call. Either one could end up saving you money in the end, or costing you more.

Do you contract? We usually do in early fall, it all depends on the supplier, but you can prepay as much as you want. Typically we would get 1,000 at $.95 when in the middle of winter it will go as high as $1.65 or so.
Most contracts are 10% down if you don't want to pay the whole thing and some companies will not hold you to it if you don't use it all, or if the price drops.
We used Heart of Iowa Co-op and they were great. We rented a tank from them, but they never actually billed us for it, so we never looked anywhere else for propane.

The ammonia storage tank will work. Are you talking a nurse tank on a trailer?
They are the same tanks.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
a nusre tank has a running gear and a tounge to pull behind a applicator.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I recall correctly, when they first showed up, they were mounted on trailers but are now just sitting on the ground- these are about 250-350 gal tanks that were on 2 wheeled trailers- not the larger ones that are on wagon type gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts