Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Board-proper preparation method? As I’m preparing to reinstall my factory sidesteps, I figured it would be a good idea to get the wire brush, angle grinder, etc. on that part of the frame to start. I’ve got fluid film, paint, POR undercoating etc. My question is, in what order do I use these products after I get any rust off.? Obviously I can’t use any sort of ‘paint’ after fluid film but I am interested in the Boards opinions. Fluid Film over rust preventative, etc?

Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wire brush all the big flakes off and use POR. Apply a coat of regular paint over it to protect the POR from UV , otherwise it will peel.

Use fluid film for maintainence just like you'd use New Hapmshire Oil Undercoat or something like that

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,983 Posts
What he said ^^^ but I'd suggest rustAvert instead of fluid film (or similar products)... Doesn't wash off, no dirt road needed, really tough stuff.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8L
219 Posts
@KCD I have been trying to figure this out too as doing the undercarriage is on my list. Mine is in great shape with just a bit of surface rust. Been looking at all the options but ran across this stuff. I like it because it looks like it will keep it factory looking.

www.actioncorrosionsales.com

Planning on ordering the remover and clear and doing a test run. Thought you might find it interesting.

Here's a thread that has other info that happened a little bit ago as well. Got some info from Broncomom on there as well as others.

Cyberslinger - 1996 XLT Sport 5.8L

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m still a ways off from attacking the whole truck other than the areas around my sidesteps so I’m interested in seeing how it works for you. Thanks much!!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I’m still a ways off from attacking the whole truck other than the areas around my sidesteps so I’m interested in seeing how it works for you. Thanks much!!
You'll be surprised.. Once u get going with that grinder and see how great it's going u just won't be able to stop.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You'll be surprised.. Once u get going with that grinder and see how great it's going u just won't be able to stop.
So true, evertime I start grinding rust I can't stop myself until its gone. I go from scuffing paint to promote adhesion to sanding everything to bare metal to get every spec of rust.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
So true, evertime I start grinding rust I can't stop myself until its gone. I go from scuffing paint to promote adhesion to sanding everything to bare metal to get every spec of rust.
Know the feeling 😏 but...The way it should be 👍

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@KCD I have been trying to figure this out too as doing the undercarriage is on my list. Mine is in great shape with just a bit of surface rust. Been looking at all the options but ran across this stuff. I like it because it looks like it will keep it factory looking.

www.actioncorrosionsales.com

Planning on ordering the remover and clear and doing a test run. Thought you might find it interesting.

Here's a thread that has other info that happened a little bit ago as well. Got some info from Broncomom on there as well as others.

Your link isn't working

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,556 Posts
I’m going to give waxoyl hard wax a try this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have you looked into por 15 on frames? If you plan on going off road it may be an issue. I used it on the interior after I discovered my drip rails were leaking but I'm extremely hesitant to use it in anything that has flex. This is subject to lots of debates lol.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like this Fluid Film but goddamn it smells like a sheep farm...and I don’t plan on wheeling, ever. Zombie apocalypse notwithstanding....

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, Threat Motorsports 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB front locker, Yukon .456 gears
272 Posts
I just POR 15'ed my entire frame and intend on doing the underside of the body. It's a pain in the a$$ if you do the degreaser and metal prep as directed but 20 years from now I hope my girl is still rust free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like this Fluid Film but goddamn it smells like a sheep farm...and I don’t plan on wheeling, ever. Zombie apocalypse notwithstanding....
Have at it then man. Bronco frames flex a lot that's the only reason I said that. I'm doing the underside of my truck in it and did the rear floorpan where the dynomat is.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8L
219 Posts
Try this.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Total side note but you wanted to know about my shaved drip rails. I dropped off my second roof to them yesterday to be painted and they're doing a 78 or 79. They shaved the drip rails too. So apparently they are getting experience doing that. If you're in Oklahoma it would be worth driving to kc to do if it isn't your primary vehicle.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you do not live in a rust prone area, just spray it with some sort of oil and call it done.
If you DO live in the rust belt, you will want to use POR or something
Note: POR is an absolute MESS, no matter how hard you try, you will be left with what looks like tribal tatoos for a week or more. None of the solvents work on skin.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you looked into por 15 on frames? If you plan on going off road it may be an issue. I used it on the interior after I discovered my drip rails were leaking but I'm extremely hesitant to use it in anything that has flex. This is subject to lots of debates lol.
this reminds me of a question. My entire rear wheel wells are covered in POR. I’ve had a few cans of custom made spray paint (body color) made. Should I spray the wells? Wouldn’t this make it appear more stock as well? And protect the POR from UV?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts