Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm. I'm beginning to wonder now if I have something installed that is wrong.

I am replacing the U-Joints in my front axle. So I go into Pep Boys, tell them what I have and they give me 2 U-Joints. I got one of the U-Joints knocked out of my axle via Hydraulic Ram :chili:

I am going to put the new one in, when I notice I have WAY MORE CLEARING than what has been provided. I go back to Pepboys and tell them I believe they gave me the wrong U-Joints as these had near 1/4" space on each side. The guy checks the computer again and says, lets try these. He gives me a slightly larger set of U-Joints, only to find out that these don't fit. He proceeds to tell me that those are the only 2 U-Joints that could possibly fit any 2 of the fittings.

On the axle it says that it is a "spline" or splin something to that effect. A neighbor is telling me that, that is a good axle for being stock. Do I have the right axle, or is Pepboys computers lieing to them? Or is there something else I am missing out on that I am ignorant to? :scratchhe

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You should be able to use a dial micrometer on the old caps to tell whether the new ones are correct or not. That dimension shouldn't change much, if at all.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Pep Girls' computer is wrong. Having experience in the auto retail bidness, I know those systems are only as good as the programmers they hire, and most of 'em ain't that good. Go to a different store (NAPA maybe), and see if you can't get the right ones the first time.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am not positive on this but if someone swapped in D50 stubs could those be bigger u joints? I know people swap in stuff out of a D50 into the 44 there have been write ups on it...either that or check with Napa or another parts store and see if Pep Boys is wrong...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts