Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons between the 351M and the 351W.
Is one superior to the other and why.

Thanks

Jim

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
if your thinking on swapping in a 351m into your 85 it is not worth it.

they both have thier good and bad.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I am not going to type it. you can search just like I could type it.

·
Banned
470 Posts
I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is the difference between a 351winsor and a 351m whatever m stands for and how do you tell them apart?

·
Banned
470 Posts
78bronco460 said:
The 351M is bigger. The 351W is littler. M is W upside down. There's a lot of things to consider here.
Were thay each made different years? What would my 96 351 be?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
The M is not a big block. It's a small block, with a big block bellhousing bolt pattern. The intake being spread apart farther, which is what confuses alot of people into thinking the M is a big block. Here's more reading to do - http://www.projectbronco.com/History/history_of_the_ford_351m.htm

M doesn't stand for modified, midland, or anything else... or else the 400 would be called a 400M, which it isn't. The M is just a letter to distinguish this 351, from the C and the W

·
Registered
918 Posts
78bronco460 said:
The 351W is littler. M is W upside down. .
:histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
305 Posts
According to the Ford Racing Performance catalog (formerly SVO), the M in 351M stands for "Modified", and was produced from 1975-1985.
Page 114 of the 2001 catalog.

I have read elsewhere, that it was named 351M because it was a modified version of the Cleveland design. Can't recall the source right now though.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I would like to see a scanned copy of that page, because it has been a huge long debate about what the "M" stands for and everything has came out as ford just threw a letter there to tell the difference between the C and the W.

As far as the 351w being a far superior engine than the m blocks. thats just personel choice. Would I give up my 400. nope!

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
another thing, everything I have seen said the M-blocks were stopped production is 81 or 82 model years.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Justshootme84 said:
THe 351M is a big block, the "M" stands for modified. A poor engine. The 351W is a small block, the "W" stands for Windsor, refers to where it's made (in Canada). A far superior motor, hands down.

Here we go again. :banghead

·
Registered
389 Posts
jopes said:
Here we go again. :banghead
:boxing :toothless

I'm not about to give up mine either, Don. In fact, depending on the cash
situation at the time of my next rebuild, I'd opt for another 400 build, vs.
a more expensive swap of the 460.

I've been way more than satisfied with the 400. I'm at 100K now and still as
strong as the day it was installed. (Oil changes religiously every 3K tho.)

My '79 came from the factory with the 351M.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts