Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannot say I would order anything Protofab from broncograveyard again.
Placed an order for a bumper and a roll bar, on the phone on 3/25 of this year. The website does say 6-8 weeks for delivery but after several emails and calls I finally received a bumper and a roll bar on 7/14, that's more or less double the lead time that they originally gave. No updates or any information was given to me during this time.

They also delivered it while I was out on vacation which caused some extra headaches on my end, they knew about this as when I originally ordered it I had asked if it would be done in time for my Trip in July to which they replied no problem. They (JBG) also said that the shipper would call to setup a delivery time at which point I could ask them to hold and that never happened.

So just be aware that evidently Protofab is extremely slow and this paired with JBG known customer service issues makes for an extremely long wait with no updates and phone calls that will end with them saying 2 more weeks. I would explore other options for bumpers unless you live close to Protofab and can deal with them directly.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I ordered a roll bar from JBG and the cage from Proto last year. Ordered both at the same time, but separately due to price. I called Proto and talked to Mike (I think that is his name) directly and was able to get them to put together on the same shipment to save on shipping costs.

As for lead times, yeah, protofab can run a bit behind, but this is a small shop and that is the reality for us Bronco guys. If you want it tomorrow, get a Jeep!

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I don't think I'd mind long wait times, provided the time estimates were accurate, or at least updated in a timely manor. From what I've heard though, they tend to forget about the customer as soon as the money is in the bank and just ignore any attempts to get updates.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Agree with the above, I was also told 2 more weeks 2 times. If they would of said 2 more months and delivered on that time frame it would not be as big of a deal. Even if your a little shop no need to not be honest. Its my understanding they have been building bumpers and such for some time, they should honestly know how long it is going to take to get XXX amount of work done. If you told your boss you would have something in the morning but didn't deliver on it until 2 weeks later what do you think would happen to you?
I am not talking about 2-3 days behind either this was months away from when it should of been, the whole time they have my 1300 dollars. This is what I have a problem with and why I started this thread. If when I called JBG to order these and they said it usually takes this amount of time but sometimes they get busy and it may take up to six months, then I don't think I would have much to complain about.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will add to this review that the only complaint I have is the timing and lack of honest updates. The bumper is nice and fits really well for one that was not made to my specific truck, this bumper fits better then the stock one. It only has two of the upper bolts in it in this pic. All the welds are nice too, I also order a roll bar that looks decent but that is still in pieces and will most likely be sometime before It goes together so I have no pictures of that.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Just wanted to add that I just had a VERY positive experience with Protofab's customer service. I was asking about wait times and Mike was very honest about how the wait times are always longer than the posted 6-8 weeks and how I would jump on it if not for the wait times. Well, turns out they'd double ordered the exact bumper I wanted for another customer and so they offered to ship it out to me TODAY! Of course, I jumped on it and it should be here late next week and installed on the BKO next weekend!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with the above, however It was cheaper dealing with JBG with both things I bought instead of protofab. But service has a price too. I would suggest to anyone to deal with protofab directly, I know I will if/when I order something else.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Just to add for general info. Anyone wanting to ship something larger than UPS or Fedex can handle it might be cheaper to arrange your own freight shipping. Uship.com If you have ever seen the TV show "Shipping Wars" you have seen UShip.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I ran into the same issues with my bumper from protofab. I ordered through JBG for the cheaper price. But the bumper has some major flaws, not in craftsmanship, but function. No place for license plate, no places for lights or D-rings, spare tire covers the passenger side tailight, and a place that can collect water and eventually rust if not properly cleaned.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I ran into the same issues with my bumper from protofab. I ordered through JBG for the cheaper price. But the bumper has some major flaws, not in craftsmanship, but function. No place for license plate, no places for lights or D-rings, spare tire covers the passenger side tailight, and a place that can collect water and eventually rust if not properly cleaned.
You realize D-rings and shackle points are options you can order with the bumper, right? And I didn't have any problems with mine. Sure, I had to make my own mount for the license plate, but I knew that going in just from looking at the sample pics on their website. I honestly can't complain about the function of mine and don't see the same problems you seem to be seeing.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I dont have your bumper and this bumper did not have options for D-rings/shackels. Mine is for the 78/79. I liked the style better, but the split design makes it more challenging for additions. I just ziptied my license plate before I made a permanent one.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
CBG - would it be possible to tuck this bumper closer to the body so it does not stick out so far? I like this bumper except for how far it sticks out - if I could "push" it in 4-6 inches, that would be ideal. Can you take some pictures of how it mounts to the frame horns?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really possible with this front bumper. You would be better off starting from nothing and building one per how you want. The issue is the main tube mounts to the frame and it builds from there. The 78/79's are going to be hard to make it go in any further without clearancing the grille and front end. You maybe able to move it in 3" but I do not see much more.

With the winch it does not look like it sticks out as far.

I thought the same thing before I got this one and installed it, Looks different in person then it does in most the pictures I have found, including any that I have of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts