Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this work or am I just having an episode of stupid? What would happen if I teed into the transmission cooler lines with the ps return line. Not so much a tee but like a cross. They use the same type of fluid and I am just thinking about cooling the PS fluid.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
they are not the same type of fluid, not to mention how do you plan on the trans and ps pump to get their fluid back with out running the other empty?

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
They are the same fluid. Ford recommends ATF in the ps. Preventing one from running dry is a different story.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would think the trans would over flow the ps reservoir.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wont work. like stated earlier would probably overflow your ps. I used an old trans cooler i removed from a radiator and mounted to the frame. Or you could just use a trans cooler mounted in front of rad like a regular trans cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Do like r-clare said. Jut get a small cooler and plumb it into the PS pump itself. Besides the idea of one emptying into the other, you'd also have issues with pressure differentials between the Power steering and the transmission pumps to deal with. Also, the way it works is, just teeing off from one port would do nothing. You will have to tee off from both connections in order to get any kind of flow going to the cooler and back to the pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts