Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where shall i mount a ps cooler? Which hard line coming of the box is the best to tap to run to the cooler?

I already have a tranny cooler mounted in front of the rad on the drivers side....Its not a huge ps cooler, But anything is an improvement over nothing, Im sure...

Post Pics...

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
I have a small tranny cooler installed as my PS cooler, on the driver side fenderwell, above the steering gearbox. It works fine, because it doens't need alot of airflow, since the temp of PS fluid really doesn't get as hot as engine or transmission oil

·
F.O.T.Y. 2003
8,380 Posts
I was going to post one for ya, but Superford....?

I went to a wrecking yard, and found a F250 tranny cooler($10), Then I took the stock tranny cooler and mounted it in the stock location but on the drivers side. The F250 cooler fit into the stock location, and I plumbed the other one into the return line for the Power steering ...that also got rid of the stupid tube thing on the crossmember.

Damn...would have been easier with pics.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
I did away with the maze of tubing at the front of the TTB xmember. I cut that line near the box and flared it a little, then slipped some appropriate rubber hose over it and clamped it down. The flare prevents it from slipping off. I mounted it behind the grille next to my B&M tranny cooler.

I can't remember if I reposted those pics but Superford appears to be having issues again (gee go figure)

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crazed said:
I was going to post one for ya, but Superford....?

I went to a wrecking yard, and found a F250 tranny cooler($10), Then I took the stock tranny cooler and mounted it in the stock location but on the drivers side. The F250 cooler fit into the stock location, and I plumbed the other one into the return line for the Power steering ...that also got rid of the stupid tube thing on the crossmember.

Damn...would have been easier with pics.

Mine is off a 250 as well...I like the idea of getting rid of the stock lines down there as well...Mine didnt come with a stock PS cooler.

The only tranny cooler it had was in the radiator, And i dont like the idea of screaming hot radiator temps being used to cool my tranny...

Thanks...Need to go pick up a flare tool tonight, Cant find mine.

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
that style will work, but wont work very good if you ever decide to go to hydraulic assist, or full hydraulic steering, as it limits the fluid flow. for what im running you need a tube type cooler(usually the cheaper model tranny coolers)

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Here's mine (the real small one)

It was a pre-packaged Napa power steering cooler "kit." I can't see it doing a whole lot 'cause its' so small.......but I have no doubt it does more than the stock tubing I removed:

Never had a problem with overheating since I installed my Sag pump anyway, but I dont' run a FT front locker either.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I'm using the same type of cooler as Keith_L, seems to work well. It's mounted on the drivers side, horizontally, near the top of the radiator core support in front of the radiator. I had to trim some material off the core support to make it work, but it was well worth it.

BTW---I'm still using the maze of tubing on the TTB crossmember.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts