Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i scored a 1356 for free, and it has the PTO coverplate on it... other than a winch, what can i use this for?

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
120'' mowing deck, that'd be sweet. Think you can run a loader off that too.
Put me down for a set of plans for the loader!:clap

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
nascarfreak88 said:
think i can use it for OBA?

Sure, just try and find a hydro driven air pump... they're not too common I don't think, because most people just use a belt driven air pump...

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm searching around found a few companies like this

http://www.vanair.com

though none of them say if it will directly work with a PTO... do you think OBA would be safe under there with the T-case with mud, dirt, and stuff?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Steve83 said:
It's a standard PTO output; any bolt-on PTO adapter will fit it. Look at #38.

My ZF tranny has two of those covers, one on each side. I always wondered what they were for.

James

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
nascarfreak88 said:
though none of them say if it will directly work with a PTO... do you think OBA would be safe under there with the T-case with mud, dirt, and stuff?
I'd be skeered to do that, and i don't even wheel mine that much, what about running it in cab?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Even if you could get or fab up an OBA to use with it it wouldn't come in very handy for long. Since it's on the output of the trans it's only gonna be turning when you're moving, you won't be able to replace any air you use while sitting there idling like a belt driven unit. I can't think of a single situation where it would be beneficial to use a little air then drive around a little bit, then use a little more air, then drive around some more.............

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have this PTO capability, i dont like having things i dont use, i dont want to use it for a winch for the main reason, if the truck dies, i cant use the winch.

i could to it like every body else and use the belt, but i dont like having all that crap in my engine bay.

edit- the PTO dosent spin with the t-case in neutral? im just wondering why they even made these things PTO capable

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Even if you could get or fab up an OBA to use with it it wouldn't come in very handy for long. Since it's on the output of the trans it's only gonna be turning when you're moving, you won't be able to replace any air you use while sitting there idling like a belt driven unit. I can't think of a single situation where it would be beneficial to use a little air then drive around a little bit, then use a little more air, then drive around some more.............
You're supposed to put the t-case in neutral to use the PTO.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Dustball said:
:stupid
I knew a guy with a K-5 that had a PTO driven bed winch.

The only time I ever rode with him he got stuck in a pit. When he used the winch to pull himself out it broke.

He blamed me becouse "the Ford guy was in the Blazer" when it broke.

:histerica :histerica

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
I wonder if it's like the old PTO that we had in the wreckers I used to drive. The damn thing was a pain the butt to engage and would hop out in the middle of using the winch on the truck.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Dustball said:

ah ha, that's why there's a neutral position on the x'fer case. See it's true you really can learn something new everyday.

·
Banned
11,476 Posts
Yep - the ZF is a HD trans, made for HD work, so it has 2 PTO plates. My NP435 has one. It's a quick way to ID a strong transmission. You'll never see an M5OD or SROD with a PTO. :histerica

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.