Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to degrease around the oil pan to see if the oil temp sender is leaking, and i ended up doing something completely different :doh0715:

Before

After

I think it looks WAY better! oh yeah, incase you were wondering why in the hell i would pull off those steps that look so nice and serve a good purpose on a street driven truck... Well, its whats inside that counts

Here's what happend to the drivers side when i unbolted half of it

Well that sides off, you can see the piles of rust by my socket set.

the pass side was better, but it was still ready to snap in half.

The steps however, look fine

I'm kinda debating taking the front lower air dam off or not, ill probably leave it. I want to put a lightning piece on eventually.

Next up, back to finding that oil leak :doh0715:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with pulling them off for safety reasons. I noticed your pictures in the other thread and saw how rusty the support brackets were. Just my opinion, but I kind of like them on the broncos with stock tires.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Looks alot better with the factory steps gone, Thats the first thing i did.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No leave the lower air dam. Whenever people remove them it gives the truck a beater look.
Not really, a beater look is when you rip your air dam half way off while wheeling and drag it home. Take it off, thats ricer gear. Function / Form

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I debated for a long time whether or not I should take my Eddie Bauer side steps off...then once I got my lift and 33's I did it. It gives it a much better look. I also took off the valence in the front, and I think it gave it a better look. Gives the front a bit more of an aggressive look.

I wouldn't get a lightning valence if I were you...I don't think they look good on trucks, unless you're going for a lowered/street truck look.

I just sold my steps for 100 bucks, by the way. But my brackets were in perfect shape. My fiberglass had a few scrapes and cracks on them from wheeling...but the guy who bought them said they were exactly what he was looking for.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im still debating on taking the front lower valence off, but i probably wont. well see. And yes the bars are really rusted to crap. The drivers side actually had 3/4th of the tube left, but just from smacking it with a wrench, it looks like it does not. The frame was keeping the drivers side bar together lol

I guess in the spring i may clean the steps up and sell them, they are still in very good shape. even though 3 of the bolts to hold them to the tubes snapped....

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,549 Posts
Keep the front valence--it actually assists in two things: keeping a good airflow to the radiator, and redirecting airflow under the chassis for (somewhat) lower drag. I agree, though, the Lightning unit would look cooler.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep the front valence--it actually assists in two things: keeping a good airflow to the radiator, and redirecting airflow under the chassis for (somewhat) lower drag. I agree, though, the Lightning unit would look cooler.

I figured it did have that type of purpose, so i'll leave it until i can afford a lightning one, once i get all my leaks fixed :doh0715:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Looks a lot better. I like the look with the air dam off. Looks higher and you can see underneath. Take it off and see how it looks. You can always put it back on.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks a lot better. I like the look with the air dam off. Looks higher and you can see underneath. Take it off and see how it looks. You can always put it back on.
I saw how many points it was attached at, to lazy to do it now... Plus my luck, if i pull it off i'll break it in a way i couldnt get it back on. Or have the motor fall on my head or something else stupid happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Newbie, just starting mechanicing on my own. Probably should start a thread, any way could someone please describe to me what the valence is?

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,304 Posts
You did good there! I never liked those foo foo looking things!:histerica Your Bronco is happier too! A nice way to start the New Year!:thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Must be that time of the year... or the age of the rigs. I pulled my steps off a week ago for the same reason, completely rusted out. For everyone saying to "post them for sale" why would they be worth anything without the steel reinforcements? I like them and with the grab handles i put on they functioned well. Could get all old school gangster and hang on the side of the truck with a Tommy gun... if one had a old Thomson that is. :toothless

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,795 Posts
Must be that time of the year... or the age of the rigs. I pulled my steps off a week ago for the same reason, completely rusted out. For everyone saying to "post them for sale" why would they be worth anything without the steel reinforcements? I like them and with the grab handles i put on they functioned well. Could get all old school gangster and hang on the side of the truck with a Tommy gun... if one had a old Thomson that is. :toothless
JBG sells the steel tubes now, crazy expensive though

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I'd be interested in a tan passenger side step from a 95 or
96 if somebody had a nice one. Mine is scuffed

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,675 Posts
anyone notice this thread was started back in '09 yet?

Newbie, just starting mechanicing on my own. Probably should start a thread, any way could someone please describe to me what the valence is?
I believe the valence Handy_andy_cv64 was referencing is the long piece of plastic running along underneath the front bumper.
I'd show a better picture of one for you but my supermotors image host is crapping out this week.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,826 Posts

It's the bottom black piece of the bumper.

Reactions: BikerPepe`
1 - 20 of 22 Posts