Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the trigger on a 460 EFI longblock with accessories from a 1996 F-250 for my Bronco. I must be crazy but I only paid $500 and the engine is in running condition with 125k miles. I am going to store it for a complete rebuild project that I'm planning in the future. I figured it would be a good match being that my FSB is also a '96 and equipped with MAF - and I highly suspect that the '96 F-250 the engine came from was too.

I think there is a wealth of information on these forums and I've already started to look into Oscar's thread on his 460 conversion. If anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions for me to research, please send them my way!

Cheers!

·
Registered
488 Posts
you need a big block style E4OD also. I may be wrong but I don't think there ever was a MAF 460.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
he is saying his bronco is a maf....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Nothing wrong with a speed density 460!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you need a big block style E4OD also. I may be wrong but I don't think there ever was a MAF 460.
You're absolutely right about the larger E40D housing. I would like to do a D60 up front and a Sterling 10.25 in the rear too. This project is going to take a very long time.

Ford offered the 460 EFI with MAF in California and Massachusetts for 1996/1997 models - the engine I picked up actually appears to be speed density, so I may have to do a little more work to make it MAF ready.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
You're absolutely right about the larger E40D housing. I would like to do a D60 up front and a Sterling 10.25 in the rear too. This project is going to take a very long time.

Ford offered the 460 EFI with MAF in California and Massachusetts for 1996/1997 models - the engine I picked up actually appears to be speed density, so I may have to do a little more work to make it MAF ready.
Cool, I didn't know MAF was offered in MA too.

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
The cheap tranny option is a C6. But there may be other issues with a 96 that preclude using a C6 that I dont know about. Do you have the harnesses and computer?

Start looking now for a Saginaw bracket. If it was a truck 460 it will have the crappy pump, so you need the bracket from a E series van to put on it with a Saginaw pump. It was offered only in vans and is FAR superior to the one in our trucks, but it requires a different bracket.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
None the less, a 460 will be sweet in your bronco. Good luck collecting all the parts. Keep us updated. I've always wanted a 460 in my bronco. Back in 2004 I had carb 460 and a rebuilt C6. At the time it was my daily driver, then I decided to sell the motor and trans. Just put in a rebuilt 302 instead. Now it isn't a daily driver and I want a bigger motor again. Most likely a 351W (maybe mass air, RV cam and heads), but who knows maybe 460 EFI .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congrats on the find! I have been conteplating the same thing. Right now collecting parts for my SAS but have already toyed with the 460 idea as my Bronco is my toy and project not my daily driver.

I had a '79 back in the day with a 460 and it was nice with good grunt and stump pulling power down low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts