Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someones gotta have detailed pictures of one here right? I cant think of any other way to remove the top all alone. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
238 Posts
The other preferred solo method is to back it up to your matching dentside pickup, stand up under the top and turtle your way across and set the top on the pickup bed rails.

It may not work very well if you don't own the matching dentside. LOL

I haven't tried with my bronco, but with an old fiberglass pickup topper I had I used to do the same but get it far enough out, set one end on the bedrails and jump down off the tailgate while holding the other end. I'd guess the bronco topper is considerably heavier though since it has bigger windows and thicker fiberglass.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,925 Posts
I personally use the above method, but onto a 99 F250. I just rotate it a 1/4 turn & set it down crosswise rather than try to line it up on the bedsides. Mine is never off for long, so sitting on the pickup works for me.

For some thoughts on lift systems here are some links. Link 4 should have several options. Link 3 describes a good method, but it looks like the pics are lost.
1-Top removal 101 Sixlitre
2-Topper Structure bronco boy
3-Easy Top Removal 90Beater
4-Hoist for Hard Top -Lots of variations.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
No pictures, but...
My dad has a few anchors in the ceiling of their carport, and uses 3 come-alongs (aka lever hoist) to lift off the ladder rack and canopy on and off his truck. He then lowers it down onto a small trailer and wheels it behind the garage for storage on some sawhorses. If you have a well-secured roof rack on your top to hook onto, a similar method could work. Be sure to set up the ceiling anchors properly, with bracing to distribute the load across multiple trusses. Also note that come-alongs are not necessarily rating for lifting, so stay out from under the setup while in use, and avoid leaving the top hanging there unattended.

·
Super Moderator
25,317 Posts

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All fantastic stuff guys thanks I appreciate it! Got some thinking to do as to what style and where I wanna do this

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
578 Posts
I personally use the above method, but onto a 99 F250. I just rotate it a 1/4 turn & set it down crosswise rather than try to line it up on the bedsides. Mine is never off for long, so sitting on the pickup works for me.

For some thoughts on lift systems here are some links. Link 4 should have several options. Link 3 describes a good method, but it looks like the pics are lost.
Exactly what I did on to my 2015 F-150. Worked great but then needed my neighbor to help me store it in my shed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
From my research, be careful if you’ve got a trussed roof you’ll be tying into. It appears, unless specifically designed, most are only designed to hold up a ceiling (I think it was 5 lb/sqft, but been a bit). I have a trussed garage roof on 24” centers and I’m not ready to slap some rigging and give it a go just yet. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,469 Posts
I have a trussed roof in my garage - 2x4's. I've been up there standing on them and walking around and I'm about 280. They shouldn't have any problem holding up the hard top. I'm pretty sure it weighs under 200 lbs, it's just awkward. I'm going to lag bolt up 2 2x4s perpendicular across several of the trusses and then run 4 eye bolts through those. Then I figured I would just get a set of ratchet straps, hook them into the 4 eyes and run them under the top. Lift the top a little by hand, run the strap under, ratchet it up an inch or so and then drive out from under it. You could do the same thing with a couple of 2 x 4's slide under the top is you are worried about squishing the sides in with the straps. Just use 4 eyebolts on those as well. If you get something figured out, post some pics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts