Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a good guide or anything for pulling a 302 out of a bronco? anything would be much appreciated

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Buddies, beer, a good lift, label vac hoses, label wires, take pictures before, while doing, and after, a good engine hoist or tree (depending on you redneckism).

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I did mine in 08 and it's fairly easy with a bit of homewrok first, like learning to "stab" a distributor correctly......lol lol.......but if you have a tall enough garage ceiling you can pull the engine out without having to take off the hood. Start by disconnecting the battery, draining oil/filter and radiator so it doesn't go all over the place and make a huge mess when you've pulled out the old engine, then disconnect throttle linkage etc. take the air filetr box, upper fuel injection plenum off, fuel rail and carefully disconnect the partial harness across the front of the engine and DON'T FORGET the O2 sensor wire at the back DON"T CUT IT, just disconnect it...lol lol.....

What I did with the partial harness was use blue painters tape and labled every M/F connector so I when I went to hook it all back up it was a no brainer where everything went. Taking picutres before also helps as reference etc.

www.supermotors.net/17406 - (4) New 302 EFI long block swap, dtd 7/2008 & 8/2008there are several showing you in stages etc. or you may have to "click" on "my flip video library" and scroll..

Take some time to inspect and "repair" any spots in the harness that looks chaffed or damaged, I used electricians tape and then once all sensors are disconnected etc., lay it off to the drivers side fender out of harms way.

Dismantile everything off the front of the engine, water pump, alternator, smog pump and power steering pump and remove the fan shroud, fan blade and radiator and you'll have plenty of room to work and manuever the engine.

One trick is to figure the proper chain length using a hoist so you can lift the old engine out and over the core support BUT also be able to pick up the new engine to drop onto the motor mounts so forward planning goes a long way, situate where things need to go for easy access.....I would make or get a lift plate for the bolt holes in the center of the lower intake as a lifting point otherwise run a short chain across the engine from one front mounting bolt on a head to another in the back...here the engine will want to turn side ways going out and in, an extra pair of hands would be helpful.

Disconnect the transmission bolts from the back of the engine, motor mounts and Y pipe exhaust just from the exhaust headers you can leave the ZY pipe in and prop the transmission underneath the bell housing with a jack or wooden bocks and you can leave it in place.

The rest of what's left on the old engine you can strip off while on the hoist for what ever you're to save or re-paint and re-use, "PLASTIC FREEZER BAGS you can write on are excellent for keeping an inventory all parts by their elective groups say on one side of the garage floor like an assembly line. Don't for get the flex plate and tranny cover on the back of the engine...lol lol.......

Fuel Injectors are easily cleaned and fitted with new Pintiles and O rings top and bottom, use a little motor oil to help them slip back into the lower intake manifold fuel port holes so they don't get chaffed or damaged and begn to leak. www.fordfuelinjection.com for cleaning pproceedure.. OR buy a new or reman set of 8 anyhwere.

It's a lot of detailed work and I'm sure I'm leaving something out but you get the idea if you want it to come out and look nice but COMMON SENSE works everytime.

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
208 Posts
Define Redneckism? Because I think I got a lot of that.:popc1:

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Redneckism- The ability to repair, modify, or perform a job without having the proper tools. A person of which is capable to do something with little knowledge of how something operates. The way one handles oneself on the abitity of general knowledge of performing any task with a case of beer and some friends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i got plenty of redneckism, and strong trees out back, and a barn with a high roof so im set on that, just bought a bronco with a 302 thats got a thrown rod and am going to do this for the first time and was just looking for advice, which ive gotten a bit of so far, thanks :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts