Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy has a 93 351 in his bronco. The cam and bearings were shot and he started to rebuid it. He took it to be acid bathed and they told him the one head was cracked and one valve guide was cracked. He is now realizing what the costs are going to be for this and thinking buying a JY motor would be a cheaper option to get him back on the road until he has more funds to rebuild his 351.

We found a 96 E-150 van with a 351 that is in really good shape, the van was rear ended so were assuming thats why it was there. Unknown mileage as it has no battery. We pulled the center hump and this thing doesnt leak a drop, no oil on the motor whatsoever, looks to be in pristine shape. I know being as its a 96 we would need the wiring harness and the EEC but is their anything else we would need to pull?

·
Registered
263 Posts
My buddy has a 93 351 in his bronco. The cam and bearings were shot and he started to rebuid it. He took it to be acid bathed and they told him the one head was cracked and one valve guide was cracked. He is now realizing what the costs are going to be for this and thinking buying a JY motor would be a cheaper option to get him back on the road until he has more funds to rebuild his 351.

We found a 96 E-150 van with a 351 that is in really good shape, the van was rear ended so were assuming thats why it was there. Unknown mileage as it has no battery. We pulled the center hump and this thing doesnt leak a drop, no oil on the motor whatsoever, looks to be in pristine shape. I know being as its a 96 we would need the wiring harness and the EEC but is their anything else we would need to pull?
Any reason why you'd want to upgrade it to the 96? I'd think it would be easier just to just use the 96 block & heads, and switch everything else over from the 93.

Unless you want to go over to MAF, SFI, and rollers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He wants a roller motor and needs alot of new parts to use parts from one and another to make a whole motor. He doesnt have internet access right now and I'm just trying to make sure their isnt anything else to grab while were pulling the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
the accessories are going to be in a different position I think. It's really better to use as a just as a long or short block.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
That is a good choice of motor. The wiring for the 96 OBDII stuff is different enough that it would be a pain to get all of that working. I would take the motor and accessories. That is a side mount 3G alt (and likely a 130 amp one), it has a smog pump bypass pulley, a saginaw power steering pump and bracket. Just swap your ac compressor onto that bracket. All those brackets should line up. Use the harmonic balancer from the 93 as the 96 one has a tone ring for the OBDII miss fire detection system. Leave the motor mounts, they are different. I would take the motor out with the exhaust manifolds on, but do not expect them to line up on the truck. Strip that motor down of all the wiring and sensors and put the 93 sensors and wiring harness on it and run it. Maybe a good seafoam treatment and a compression check also. You will also need to use the EGR line from the 93 as well as the dipstick. The dipstick is a different shape and the EGR tube uses two small tubes that go to a sensor. (If you want to get rid of the 96 egr tube and its not cracked or broken let me know.)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a good choice of motor. The wiring for the 96 OBDII stuff is different enough that it would be a pain to get all of that working. I would take the motor and accessories. That is a side mount 3G alt (and likely a 130 amp one), it has a smog pump bypass pulley, a saginaw power steering pump and bracket. Just swap your ac compressor onto that bracket. All those brackets should line up. Use the harmonic balancer from the 93 as the 96 one has a tone ring for the OBDII miss fire detection system. Leave the motor mounts, they are different. I would take the motor out with the exhaust manifolds on, but do not expect them to line up on the truck. Strip that motor down of all the wiring and sensors and put the 93 sensors and wiring harness on it and run it. Maybe a good seafoam treatment and a compression check also. You will also need to use the EGR line from the 93 as well as the dipstick. The dipstick is a different shape and the EGR tube uses two small tubes that go to a sensor. (If you want to get rid of the 96 egr tube and its not cracked or broken let me know.)
Yes it does have the saginaw pump and bracket, as I stole it off it, I might have to give it back now...lol.

1. The plugs for the 93 injectors are going to line up with the 96 injectors?
2. Why wont the manifolds from the 93 line up on the 96 block?
3. Is the frame from the e-series wider than bronco's and trucks? Ive heard several people say the axles are wider are the frames?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
use it as a long block and switch your stuff over. call it good

·
Registered
174 Posts
sounds like a side by side would be good.

converting over to OBDII isn't really going to work so you're gonna have to get this new one onboard with your OBDI stuff. Not sure how much switches over though.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
The injectors should still be EV1 style and will have the same plug. I believe that they are also the 4 hole style that are deposit resistant like the EV6 injectors. The manifolds will bolt up to the block correctly, but the output or collector if you will may be in a different position on a van compared to the truck. I am not sure if the frames are a different width, but they are different. The engine mounts on a van are pretty odd.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He wants to convert over to OBD2, he's gunna pull all the wiring, even the dash.Not concerned about time anymore. I know everything isn't gunna work as the van isnt 4x4. He wants to do a ZF5 swap at the same time, did they put ZF5 in a 96, we'll need the EEC from something 96 with a ZF5 correct?

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I thought the 96/97 F250/350 weren't truly OBDII due to their GVW. Probably best to find a computer from a 96 Bronco with a manual trans...shouldn't have to be a zf5 truck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
He wants to convert over to OBD2, he's gunna pull all the wiring, even the dash.Not concerned about time anymore. I know everything isn't gunna work as the van isnt 4x4. He wants to do a ZF5 swap at the same time, did they put ZF5 in a 96, we'll need the EEC from something 96 with a ZF5 correct?
Still don't understand the wanting OBD-II. But, if he just wants the MAF & SFI, I suppose it's worth it. Your going to have to get a different EEC and your going to have to add 2 additional Hegos to your exhaust. You'll need the MAF and TFI off the donor. There might be some other issues with things like power steering pressure switch, MAP senser, brake pressure switch and the 4 WABS sensor.

Keep us posted on your swap, I'm sure everyone will be interested in your experience.:rockon

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still don't understand the wanting OBD-II. But, if he just wants the MAF & SFI, I suppose it's worth it. Your going to have to get a different EEC and your going to have to add 2 additional Hegos to your exhaust. You'll need the MAF and TFI off the donor. There might be some other issues with things like power steering pressure switch, MAP senser, brake pressure switch and the 4 WABS sensor.

Keep us posted on your swap, I'm sure everyone will be interested in your experience.:rockon
He is dead set on having OBD2, I've informed him this is far from a direct bolt in but he still wants to go ahead and do it. He's getting shorty headers and new exhaust for a 96 so that should take care of the extra o2's.

There might be some other issues with things like power steering pressure switch, MAP senser, brake pressure switch and the 4 WABS sensor.
All this will still be an issue even if we pull all this from the 96 van?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put the 351 from a '96 van into my '83. I did almost the complete swap. Kept the C6, but used the ECU and wiring harness from the van on the engine. Had to have some O2 bungs welded into the exhaust for the sensors, and the A/C lines have yet to be sorted out.

Getting the wiring harness straightened out was a bit of a headache, and I am sure I have a ton of codes to deal with but havent confirmed (have not wired up the OBDII port yet). Had to extend some wires due to the van harness configuration, the longer ones I just coiled and stowed.

I treated the engine as standalone wherever possible. That is, unless I had to, I did not integrate existing systems into the engine system (alternator, power wiring, A/C were some that I had to integrate).

Not sure how many of my issues would apply due to the year difference, but if I can help with any info, let me know.

Good luck with the swap.

MS

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to confirm where are the additional o2 sensors? I've read one in each bank on the manifolds and I've read in the exhaust???

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one in each side of the "Y" pipe, just below the header outlet, and one just after the cat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts