Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is what is involved with pulling a motor out of a lifted bronco? Will a engine crane go high enough to pull a motor out of a bronco with 6" lift and 35's? Can u do this in your driveway or does it have to be done on flat ground? My driveway is not too slopey.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
I don't think the engine hoist will work with the lift and tires. You need to try and get a small set of tires or try setting the front axle on blocks to get it low enough. If the driveway isn't too bad of a slope you will be ok. Just watch what you do and have another person or two to help.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
be sure to block the rear tires as well. I would just take the front tires off and put them on jack stands. just dont set the front end because you will need to crawl under there to remove a few things. good luck

late

·
Registered
547 Posts
I pulled my 80 f150 engine in the driveway much to my neighbors dismay. I set the a-frames on 8" block removing the tires first. it worked just fine. I would think a Bronco would not be much different. The engine shop that did my Bronco (4" lift) cussed the entire process.... and billed me accordingly.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
And make sure you block the wheels of the hoist too. You are going to have go way up there to clear the truck when you pick it, and with that weight all the way up and out over the legs, on a slope it likes to run away on you. Some sandbags on the legs by the ram wouldnt hurt either. normally you would be fine, but with the eng so high up, and a slope, just better to be extra careful.

you could try taking the grill, bumper and shell off the front, and just coming straight out with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... maybe it would be easier to put the shortblock in first. Then build the rest while the SB is in the truck. Has anyone gone this route?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Me and my brother took the engine out of his 78 f350 with 12" of lift by taking the hood off and mounting the engine lift in the back of a pickup, worked great.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Urban Offroader said:
Me and my brother took the engine out of his 78 f350 with 12" of lift by taking the hood off and mounting the engine lift in the back of a pickup, worked great.

:thumbup Yep..... what he said. Used that same trick once myself. Worked great... we did take the tailgate off of the pick-up though.

Just swapped the engine in my Bronco, but it's a stock suspension. Took the 33's off and set the knuckle down on two solid bricks.

Helped a guy once swap engines on a lifted pick up. He pulled the grill, mounts, bumper, etc, and came out the front. It seemed like a lot of work, but it one of the easiest engine swaps I've ever worked on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts