Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I had put my new tires on, I decided to get an alignment. Truck drove fine, but figured I'd do it for the sake of my tires.

Had alignment done. Had alignment done 5 times. Since they aligned it, each time it was different ... it started pulling to the left, then to the right, then drifting to the left, and then I noticed it would pull hard to the left upon braking (which it didn't do before). Finally they told me my brakes were bad and I probably had a bad axle pivot bushing. I didn't buy their explanation, insisting that the truck was fine before I brought it to them. This over the course of about 3 weeks. Got my money back.

So, with that, I went ahead and changed the calipers and pads on the truck. I noticed that the wheel bearings are not resisting the same side to side -- the right side is much tighter than the left -- takes some effort to spin the rotor around even with no caliper and pad. Left side spins freely. Not sure if this is related. BTW, I considered changing the brake lines but figured I'd just try this first. Blead the brakes real well - flushed lines basically, and used some new Valvoline Synthetic Brake Fluid.

So, now I take it out for a drive. Still drifting to the left, and sometimes it seems to stop straight and sometimes it seems to pull to the left when braking.

My question is -- what are possible causes and what should I look for before throwing more money and time at this? I thought radius arm bushings, but they are poly units that are only a few years old and I have a hard time believing they have failed (they look ok to me), but I suppose I could be wrong on that one. I'm not sure which direction to go -- new wheel breaings? All of the steering seems good and tight to me -- do I strat replacing pieces there? Ball joints?

Help? :banghead

Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've done what I think are good checks on everything -- I'm fairly familiar with the normal checks, just really frustrated with this shop and all I went through with them.

I suppose best thing is to bring it to someone who hasn't seen it and have them check everything over again -- I could have definitely missed something, or it could be the first shop screwed something up (I think is likely).

I do have a question -- is it possible for an alignment (steering) issue to cause a drift while driving and then a pull while braking or is it more likely a brake issue?

Adam

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of! :cry

Guess it's time to try to find someone who knows what their talking about to align it -- not the first time I've fought with shops on my Ford TTB trucks. :smilie_slap

Adam

·
Registered
143 Posts
Double check the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame. And to prevent unneeded wear on front ends, always try to turn the steering wheel while moving even a couple inches of forward or backward movement will cut down on the stress on the front end pieces!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
That was weird sorry double post. What size tires are youu running and at what pressure? Since I double posted might as well make use of it!!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
my truck was just in the alignment shop and they didnt do anything because the axle pivot bushings are bad and he said this would not allow him to align it properly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was weird sorry double post. What size tires are youu running and at what pressure? Since I double posted might as well make use of it!!
I'm running brand new Goodyear MT/R's in 31x10.50 on the front at 35psi.

kemicalburns said:
my truck was just in the alignment shop and they didnt do anything because the axle pivot bushings are bad and he said this would not allow him to align it properly.
My problem with this is that the truck drove great before my alignments, so I tend to believ it should drive great again -- if not better!

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
73 Posts
If it drove fine BEFORE the alignment. I,d say its the person the aligned the truck. I,ve NEVER had any luck with this ELECTRONIC ALIGNMENT. Try and find someone who uses the stick method. They have been the best that I had. MOST of the garages are their to take your money and they don,t have many good mechanic who know what they are doing. Very few do. Look and ask around for someone who does this .Good luck.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
wow , this thread was last touched in 2007... nice resurrection

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,048 Posts
So I'm game for a resurrection 😊...
U need a shop versed in TTB assignments. It's different. If I remember correctly the truck has to be elevated on a rack so things can have freely?(someone help me out here, I know that's not entirely right). Also improper toe is often to blame for a lot of drift (or at least it was with my 82).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts