Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am pulling my steering wheel, took cover off, pulled off the nut, disconnected the wiring. looked at the tiny little cap or whatever you call it and realized my puller was too big and one of the ground wires is pugged into the hole to screw the thing into.:doh0715:

I returned the larger puller, grabbed the jaw type pulleronly to get home and realize no way to hook onto it:banghead

any suggestions on what to use besides a bigger hammer:scratchhe

·
ford freak
731 Posts
that ground clip is just pressed in there. if you squeeze and pull it, it will come out.
all you need is the $15 dollar multi-piece "steering wheel puller" set from an auto store...it should have all the parts you need.

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
If you dont plan on pulling the wheel much, you can rent tools also.
The puller you need looks like a yoke and the bolts go in the slots. The big bolt in the center goes over the shaft (after you remove the nut behind the wheel)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first one I bought was too big to go onto that tiny wheel, 2 weeks later figured Id stop by and get a different one, the only other one they had was the jaw type, figured Id try. Returned those :doh0715:

Went to schmucks, had one in a tray with different sized bolts, smaller diameter, to go on that tiny wheel. $18 and change:thumbup

RENT tools:twak

I buy tools when they are needed, only way I can get em:chili:

Too late to do anymore tonight, Will post pics as I get something accomplished:drinkbud

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I was pulling my wheel off, I went to see if I could borrow a tool from a ford dealer, and they said to just use two hammers. Thats what they use, and it worked for me. Pry gently with one hammer on the metle "arms" of the wheel, and use the other hammer to tap the center. Switch sides from time to time and it will come off. It would be best to use a rubber mallet instead of a metal hammer for the tapping. If you dont have a rubber hammer, make sure that you dont unscrew the nut too far. The top of the nut should be below the top of the shaft. I screwed up once, and had the top of the nut above the shaft, and I messed the threads up on the nut. Its probably smarter to use a puller, but the way described works well, too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Leave the nut on the end of the steering shaft and hit it with a metal hammer, you need the vibration to get it off. Pull back towards yourself when you hit it and it will pop right off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts