Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ETA: Just put pictures and description starting at post 16.

I'm looking at having to pull my gas tank to figure out where this leak is coming from. I replaced the rubber line that jumps from the gas tank to the hard line, but looks like some is coming from the top, maybe the sending unit.

I'm planning on getting a new tank and a new seal for the sending unit. There is also that other piece that plugs right into the top of the tank. Do you guys know what that is called? Can't seem to find a reference to it. Even in the video I watched of a guy changing out his tank, he just mentioned replacing the rubber grommet there but didn't say what the part was called.

Is there anything else that I need to get before I start on this?

Thanks

1979 Bronco, Ranger XLT, 33 gal. tank.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,234 Posts
Is it the vent you are talking about?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That must be what it is. When the guy in the video pulled it out it looked like some sort of vent. It's on the very top of the tank, if you're looking at the tank from the front, it's the hole behind the hole for the sending unit.

Edit: Just found it on Bronco Graveyard. It's a gas tank breather valve

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,234 Posts
AKA: vent

Did you go plastic or steel on your tank? I ordered a plastic one for mine two weeks ago and I'm still waiting. :popc1:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Steve.

CobraJoe- I haven't ordered yet, but I am really leaning towards the plastic. Would be nice not to have to worry about rust ever again.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Just got off the phone with JBG and they said it was coming from the manufacturer and I will have it Thursday. Plastic just seems to make more sense IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got everything ordered. I ended up going with a metal tank. Just couldn't swing the extra $50 for plastic, and I really need to get this truck on the road asap. Figure if I get another 35 years out the new tank I'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Steve do you have a better source for the plastic tanks? I WAS going to order one soon but if the quality is bad I'll hold off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have never ran a plastic tank but I have heard that sometimes they have some shavings in the bottom of them new that you should try and get out before installing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be sure to post progress pics.

After doing a good bit of reading, I also believe that the steel is better. One site I read talked about the thicker plastic can actually result in a very small decrease in how much gas it can hold, though I;m sure this is a fairly insignificant number. But they also talk about cheaper plastic tanks have high rates of permeability, and low durability.
Modern steel tanks also last much longer than the older tanks. Figure I'll be near about to old to drive by the time it needs to be replaced. It'll be my son's problem then. lol

Since mine currently has a 33 gallon, that's what's going back in it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This past Saturday I went ahead and pulled the old tank. I took as many pics as I could and will describe the process as best as I can.

First thing that I did was loosen the clamp where the filler pipe meets the filler hose. It's hard to see in the pic, but there are two hose clamps there. One is for to secure the hose onto the pipe, the other fits over a little bracket that helps stabilize the fill pipe. Also not seen in this pic is the vent line which also has a hose clamp.

The rubber on mine was pretty stiff and since I was going to be replacing all of that I went ahead and cut the hose to make things easier.

My Bronco has the 33 gal. tank with skid plate. There are no bottom straps, not sure if this is the same across all models.
The bolt size is 9/16" and you will need two wrenches. I highly suggest an impact driver if you have access to one. I have a cordless model and it makes a world of difference. I also suggest putting a jack under the tank and skid plate just to make things a little easier. You want it just high enough to help hold everything up, don't actually jack it high enough to pick up the vehicle.

Once the bolts are out, get around to the front of the tank and disconnect all hoses and the sending unit plug. This plug just slips on and off. There are not tabs to pull or anything. DO THIS BEFORE YOU DROP THE TANK COMPLETELY, there is not enough slack in the lines, at least there wasn't in mine.

Next we got around to the back side of the tank and pulled the jack out. I've heard that some tanks just drop out, mine did not. This was mostly due to an aftermarket hitch that had been installed. It took some working it back and forth and stuff, but I was able to get the tank out without pulling the hitch. Also due to the hitch, and probably because I did mine in the yard, I had to jack up the Bronco just a bit, maybe an inch or so to get the tank out. Not everyone may have to do this.

After getting the tank out I looked it over and found the leak.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Monday night we put the new tank in. Unfortunately due to rain and mud and it was dark, I was unable to take any pictures. I will describe the process and what I learned though.

I went ahead with a metal tank for a few reasons. One being cost. I know folks say you don't have to worry about rust and such with a plastic tank, but the old metal tank made it 35 years. I figure if I get the same out of the new one then it'll be ok. I'll pass the truck onto my son and let it be his problem then.

I highly suggest painting it to add some protection. I skipped this step for now because I really needed to get it on the road. And I will also be pulling it again to replace the skid plate. Couldn't afford a new one at this time, or find a decent one for that matter. So I will be fabricating one as soon as I can get a sheet metal brake and welding machine. At that time I will clean up the tank and paint it. I did leave the shipping grease on it so maybe that will help some.

On to the install.

Install the sending unit in the new tank, I used my old one but replaced the float and filter. Also put in the vent line if yours has that option, or you can choose to delete it. Do your research first. I chose to keep mine in place for now.

My first mistake was pulling the fill pipe and putting all the hoses it. PUT THE HOSES ON THE TANK FIRST. Then push them onto the pipe as you install the tank. Also, make sure your hoses are the right length. They may need to be trimmed a bit. I need to cut about a 1/2" off mine. There is a very slight kink in the hose as is, not really a problem but it needs to be fixed. I was just tired of working in the mud so left it for now.

Also, there is a slight bend in the fill hose. This is to get the hose over the frame rail. So the outside of the bend should be facing up and the short side going into the tank.

Make sure to connect all hoses and the plug for the sending unit as you raise the tank into position. Wouldn't hurt to put some dielectric grease in the plug also. Be prepared for this to come unplugged during installation. If it does and you don't find out until everything is bolted up, the easiest way I found to get to it is from the front/left side of the tank with my left arm. I'm a big guy and was just barely able to squeeze my arm in there. Took several tries to get it on just right.

Since my skid plate is rusted out I put in a foam mat so the tank wasn't sitting directly on the plate. I would do this even with a new skid plate. Apparently the tank is designed to sit in the grooves that are in the skid plate. With the foam in place it took some work to get the tank to sit in just right. We used the jack to push it into place so we could bolt it up. The foam I used is the stuff you line truck boxes with. About an 1/8" thick maybe.

I believe that's everything, if you have any questions just ask. i'm no expert but I'll answer the best I can, or tell you I have no idea if I don't.

Oh, watch out for bad wiring jobs. Whoever put the trailer lights on my rig ran the wires through one of the holes in the skid plate so I had to cut it.

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
next time its out, you might consider doing an, IIRC, steve83 mod... cutting a small hole in the back on the cargo area, and installing an "access" panel for the sending unit.

also, next time i replace mine, i think i will RB or POR-15 it too. maybe even herculine it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was about to the point of cutting a hole in the floor monday night. It will be something I do in the future, just in case. Not sure what I'm going to paint it with yet. POR-15 is supposed to be some good stuff though, may give it a try.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Steve do you have a better source for the plastic tanks? I WAS going to order one soon but if the quality is bad I'll hold off.
I know it's too late now, but, I ordered an MTS plastic tank from gastankdepot.com. I haven't gotten a chance to install it yet, but it appears to be very good quality. I'm not worried about the supposed drawbacks of plastic vs metal. Just about every newer vehicle today has a plastic tank and they're all fine. I think gas tanks is one area where plastic is just plain better than metal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts