Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've pulled a pitman arm before inorder to replace my steering box. This was on my 1989. So, I just got a 1990 and need to replace the steering box. Yesterday, I borrowed the biggest loaner pitman arm puller from autozone. Disconnected the steering shaft. Got the pitman retaining nut off. Then tried to get the puller on and I can't get the darn thing in place! Not lined up anyway.

Or when I do get it in place I can't turn the nut because it's wedged tight against the front differential. And there doesn't seem to be enough space to get the puller arms in between the box and the pitman arm. I went and looked at my 1989 and the pitman arm looks the same, so I've clearly done this before. Maybe I got too big of a puller? Maybe the loaner I got was just crap (that's the current theory).

Am I missing something?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,833 Posts
I bought a generic one a while back. Its not all that big, maybe 3" wide. Works great and was only like 35 bucks.

Put pressure on the arm with the puller and lightly tap the pitman arm itself. If replacing the gear box, you can hit it harder.

Reactions: reds

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,471 Posts
Okay, so I've pulled a pitman arm before inorder to replace my steering box. This was on my 1989. So, I just got a 1990 and need to replace the steering box. Yesterday, I borrowed the biggest loaner pitman arm puller from autozone. Disconnected the steering shaft. Got the pitman retaining nut off. Then tried to get the puller on and I can't get the darn thing in place! Not lined up anyway.

Or when I do get it in place I can't turn the nut because it's wedged tight against the front differential. And there doesn't seem to be enough space to get the puller arms in between the box and the pitman arm. I went and looked at my 1989 and the pitman arm looks the same, so I've clearly done this before. Maybe I got too big of a puller? Maybe the loaner I got was just crap (that's the current theory).

Am I missing something?
Like @BigBlue 94 said, if you can get the puller on there and right trying to pull it off, get it as tight as you can and then hit the pitman arm with a hammer from the side where it is attached to the sector shaft. Don’t take the nut all the way off though. Leave it threaded on a bit so that when the arm pops off, it doesn’t go flying one direction while the puller goes off flying in another direction!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like @BigBlue 94 said, if you can get the puller on there and right trying to pull it off, get it as tight as you can and then hit the pitman arm with a hammer from the side where it is attached to the sector shaft. Don’t take the castle nut all the way off though. Leave it threaded on a bit so that when the arm pops off, it doesn’t go flying one direction while the puller goes off flying in another direction!
Are we talking about a BFH to hit it with? Or are we just tapping? Cause I've still got the loaner tool and I'll try this again after work.

·
Registered
1989 XLT 5.0 - Auto Trans, Manual Hubs
122 Posts
I had to use a pitman arm pickle fork and a #2 sledge to get mine off

·
Registered
147 Posts
What type of puller are you using? I'm guessing a pickle fork type? I couldn't remove mine with a pickle fork but the wrench type (excuse my crappy terminology) worked fine

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco, beefed up 351w, JBG HD rear springs, JBG 4” coil, 10.25 rear posi, Dana 44 posi
345 Posts
I used a conical type to get mine off. I think I turned it all the way to the right or left to get it off. If the axle is in the way then you could jack the truck up so you get a couple inches.

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
If it's particularly stuck, you can crank down the puller until it's tight, spray it with a penetrating oil, and then leave it overnight.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
did you get the one that looks like this?

that's what i've used in the past. i've also cut the back side of the pitman arm to release it in combination with the puller. i've also used penetrating oil, heat, and a BFH. i'm not sure i've ever reused a pitman arm b/c by the time i'm done removing them they are usually destroyed.

·
Registered
1995 Bronco OEM 302,auto,3.55 gears,muffler delete,3"pitman,31" tires,lockout hubs,factory wheels
26 Posts
you can change the pitman arm with the steering box still on the truck, using a 1/2" electric impact gun, and swivel adapter/socket, it's close but will allow loosening/tightening the nut and pulling the pitman arm, and the front differential won't be in the way- barely but will work. did it 3x times on my Bronco. the setup was Snap-On impact into impact swivel, into 1/2" to 3/4" drive adapter, into 1-5/16" socket.
I use this type of puller, because it's small, compact, will fit in there, light easy to use. didn't get it from Harbor freight but it looks similar. if it doesn't pop right off, put tension on the puller, then hit the pitman arm in area of the steering box splined shaft with a BFH. pops right off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
did you get the one that looks like this?

that's what i've used in the past. i've also cut the back side of the pitman arm to release it in combination with the puller. i've also used penetrating oil, heat, and a BFH. i'm not sure i've ever reused a pitman arm b/c by the time i'm done removing them they are usually destroyed.

View attachment 178874
That’s the type of puller I have. Got new 5/16 but Ltd and wing nuts to make it work but still a PITA

·
Registered
1995 Bronco OEM 302,auto,3.55 gears,muffler delete,3"pitman,31" tires,lockout hubs,factory wheels
26 Posts
all I did was attach all the tool ends together on a Snap-On impact gun, slide the puller behind the pitman arm, and pull the trigger, the pitman arm fell off.
the first time I removed the pitman arm, I was changing steering box, had the old box on ground, had to preload the puller, then smack the pitman with a sledgehammer, popped right off. after that first time it came off easy afterwards.
one of these is a must have today...Milwaukee makes them too much cheaper

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
put the swivel on the impact gun, then the 1/2 to 3/4 adapter onto the swivel, then the 1-5/16"socket, it will just fit on the puller at an angle, in front of the differential then, it was literally a 2 minute job, popped right off

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I need to get a different puller because I tried loading it up and hitting with a small sledgehammer this weekend, but no dice. It’s still on there. No movement.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I need to get a different puller because I tried loading it up and hitting with a small sledgehammer this weekend, but no dice. It’s still on there. No movement.
Got a different puller. Tightened it up and it is bending the puller! Can’t believe it. Must really be on there

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay screw it. I removed the box. I’ll get a new pitman arm I guess. How do I remove the other end of the pitman arm? The end with the rubber grease boot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the only way you could have removed the box and have the other end of pitman arm still attached, is if the right inner tie rod was still attached ? I split those apart with a tie rod fork and hammer.

Reactions: Motoxman56
1 - 20 of 49 Posts