Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a long one, hope you got time for a story... :itsatrap

Once upon a time there was a little thing called Karma.

Okay I finally sucked it up and spent the $1000 + dollars (that I dont have, which drove me wayyyy into debt) to register and insure my truck to make it legal for road use. After 7 months I was sick of being paranoid driving around illegally wondering when I would get caught and how much trouble I would get in when I did. I didnt like having to do it, but it was a huge sigh of relief to finally get it done and do the right thing, now I can go about my business and not be a complete asshole. I had it registered for 26 hours, i'll say it again TWENTY SIX F*CKING HOURS when all of a sudden I had some large electrical failure, once again making it illegal and now UNSAFE to drive on top of that! great. :whiteflag wtf I give up.

So last night i was driving for about a half an hour, everything working completely normal when my signal lights stopped working. I figured it was a bad fuse or something so i kept going thinking that i'd replace it in a few minutes, i was pulling into my friend's driveway anyway. I got to the top of his driveway and my dash lights all went out. I thought it was the same deal. When I left the house before I left the driveway I opened the fuse box to pull one out of somewhere i didnt need one, and i noticed about half of them were burnt up. I needed a 15 amp fuse, but I had to end up settling for a stronger 25 amp fuse from the power station. That worked great for the signal lights, i guess i didnt desperately need a dash light, so i was on my way. A mile down the road, now I dont have taillights or brake lights, the back of my truck is dead dark with the exception of those signal lights (but no hazards?) I drove it home that way for about a half hour but then at the bottom of the hill on my road the 25 amp fuse in my signal lights blew out, and one of my headlights/ parking lamps goes dead. This morning before work, on the way there the speedometer stopped working along with the horn too. Obviously I have a problem if one minute its fine and all of a sudden i started blowing fuses faster than I can blow singles at a strip club. I can't imagine for the life of me could have caused this.

What could be shorting out? what could be surging power through my fuse box? Has this happened to anyone else or is my truck just extra special? I know it is bad to keep running it this way i know bad things will happen if i just keep replacing the fuses every 10 minutes, especially if i use real big ones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I was thinking of that but when I mentioned that one of my friends told me it couldnt be that. I usually trust his advice he knows a little more than me, but i have a feeling he could be wrong, I think I will check it anyway.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I went to school as an auto tech. I worked for a Ford dealer. It's definitely a possibility. A regulator can cause the alternator to put out as much as 18 VDC. If it was a bad Diode Trio, the alternator can be putting bigger surges in the system than that. I would also be checking all the body grounds and engine grounds.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
Also check under the dash to make sure you're not getting wires rubbing through on a metal corner. Had that on a customer's '86 F250; I had to undo all the connections around the steering column support, fix all the shorted wires, and retape them, adding some plastic loom to help protect the harness.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
Wow. I bet there's a melted pile of wires sitting somewhere in that truck. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it really doesnt come down to that...

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
You check that cruise control switch on top of the master cylinder?

If it is a melted wire and you are doing the labor yourself, atleast it will be a cheap fix.

Pop the cruise control wire off the switch. Look and see if you see brake fluid seeping out of the switch. Check the hood for brake fluid spray near the master cylinder.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Yeah, this is one of those things where you just need to get a flashlight and start looking at every wire. See if there are any are melted, or if a ground is off somewhere. Also, grab a volt meter and check your alternator. It shouldn't be putting out more than 14.5v

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I finally got a quick chance to look at it this morning, and I didnt find any open wires under the dash (doesn't mean they arent there) and didnt see any melted wires anywhere under the hood. Someone mentioned brake fluid leaking and shorting it out, sure enough there's brake fluid sprayed on the hood... although I don't see a cruise control switch on top of the master cylinder i'm gonna have to trace the wires to see where that is. If I clean all the fluid off all the wire connectors around the area with brake/carb clean could that buy me some time? Lol sorry, I just suck when it comes to anything electrical...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
A lot of guys' trucks have burned to the ground because of that little horribly-designed switch and circuit. I would unplug it immediately to alleviate any doubt.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
look underneath the battery tray, you will see a group of wires, several have thick yellow wrappings...they are fusible links....sometimes movement etc strips the rubber and they short out causing demons to appear....One of these days when I will tell you how I found about that one....

·
Registered
656 Posts
the headlight switch switches a bunch of that stuff.....maby you have a short in that area? I would pull it out and see

·
Banned
5,475 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
god a fire is the last thing I need... Even if it turns out thats not the problem i think i'm gonna (gasp) bring it into the dealer, i doubt that recall was ever fixed, it seems most of the stuff was halfassed by the PO so I might as well see what they do. Thanks everyone, now I have a few ideas where to look when it gets light out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts