Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a time crunch. My 89 apparently doesn't have a purge valve. Obviously something was there at one point because previous owner just has a copper tube connecting the two hoses. And blocked off a yellow vacuum line. My problem is, I can't find a purge valve anywhere but Ebay. Mine does not have the wire plug that plugs in. There is no plug. So I am wondering if this is the one I need? I don't want to throw money at Ebay to find out I have something that's going to get thrown out. Someone please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
The canister purge valve is mounted next to the EGR valve on the throttle body and has lines from the charcoal canister and the throttle body connected to it. It uses a 2 wire plug. Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a hose that comes off the throttle body and then into the purge valve. Which then there is a hose that continues from the purge valve into a canister or "box" located to the left (looking from the front bumper). There is a vacuum line that also connected to said purge valve. Mine does not have the two wire plug that I am seeing for sale everywhere. Had a parts house look into the part, and they are the ones that found this plastic looking valve. But they can't seem to find it through any of their distributors. I managed to find the one pictured on Ebay but don't want to risk giving them money if that isn't the part I need. The lack of said valve is causing a lot of fuel issues. Running rich, 6 miles to the gallon, and surging idle.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,632 Posts
Not all of the early EFI trucks had a computer actuated CANP solenoid. I have never seen one to know if there was a vacuum activated device like you posted earlier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently it's an obsolete item according to the local Ford dealer. But the parts house I went to managed to find one. They are very good at finding parts for my Bronco that nobody else can. Fingers crossed it's the right one

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
I've never seen a vacuum operated CANP valve. Follow the vacuum line and see where it goes. It's possible it uses a smaller solenoid to switch the vacuum source, in which case you may be able to use a standard CANP valve and reroute some wiring. You can cap off the throttle body line and leave the Canister line open to improve driveability if it's causing that much of a problem, but it will smell like gas and isn't the safest. In the event you do need a vacuum actuated valve I'm sure there's a generic part you can use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts