Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the purolator pcv valves any good? Anyone have a problems with them?

Solid.
:beer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much what I thought. I have the purolator but I haven't put it in yet. It's hard for me to get to anywhere that sells them. They all close about the same time I get off work. The ones that stay open don't have motorcraft. I'll have to try on the weekends.

Thanks
Solid.:beer

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I might have some time to find a place to get the motorcraft pcv valve.

Thanks
Solid.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
solidpvc said:
Looks like I might have some time to find a place to get the motorcraft pcv valve.

Thanks
Solid.
It's really worth your time to find a geniune Ford unit. I had terrible problems caused by an aftermarket PCV. With only 2500 miles on a new longblock I had all symptoms of blow-by !

All my seals and gaskets were blowing, oil was loading up in my oil breather (the filter inside the air cleaner) and I thought it was a dud longblock they'd sold me.

Steve83 and some others here told me to try a Ford PCV. Voila, it worked ! I still had to rinse the engine out with a vicious crankcase cleaner and three oil changes in quick succession, but it went back to being like new again.

All that because I didn't buy the Ford PCV. I'd have never believed it if i hadn't seen it with my own two eyes.

I use plenty of non-Ford and non-stock items on my truck, hell I even run the notorious Fram filters, but when it comes to PCVs I've learned my lesson.

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
There's no reason to go with Motorcraft. AC, Napa Gold, a couple others are fine. I wouldn't put anything that said Purolator on my property, much less on one of my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
colinlesser said:
go with motorcraft, when you change them its usually better to go with the manufacturer reccomended stuff
Actually, that's rarely true. They go with lowest bidder that will meet their spec. Often other companies do a better job for similar cost for the aftermarket. On top of that, Motorcraft doesn't make most of their stuff, they buy it from someone else and put their name on it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sixlitre said:
I use plenty of non-Ford and non-stock items on my truck, hell I even run the notorious Fram filters, but when it comes to PCVs I've learned my lesson.

Sixlitre
Yah, I used Fram filters until I got a bad one that almost blew my engine. It felt like lt was on right and sealed, "NOT". I started the engine and it took a few seconds for the knock noise to get to the brain, shut the engine off in a panic, got out and had almost 5 quarts of oil pumped out on the ground. You couldn't tighten it any tighter but the seal or bottom was warped allowing the oil to just blow out. The whole incident only took a matter of about 10 seconds.

:thumbup

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
That could've happened with any filter, manufacturing defects are a problem that everyone has. Many people will tell you that Fram oil filters don't filter worth a damn, but I've used mostly Fram filters for over 27 years I've had a drivers license & never had an issue with one. So take that to mean whatever you want.

I've never put a Motorcraft PCV on my Bronco, it currently has almost 214K miles & doesn't have what I consider to be unacceptable blow by for that many miles. I say use what YOU want to use. If you have a problem with it then you've learned something, & can go to some other brand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't be putting in the purolator. I'll find a Motorcraft pvc. I really don't want to learn the hard way. The 302 is worn out enough, i don't need a crappy nickle and dime part to make it worse.

Thanks for all the help fella's :beer :beer :beer for all.

Solid.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Rick3373 said:
That could've happened with any filter, manufacturing defects are a problem that everyone has. Many people will tell you that Fram oil filters don't filter worth a damn, but I've used mostly Fram filters for over 27 years I've had a drivers license & never had an issue with one. So take that to mean whatever you want.
So. I've had my license for over 48 years. I'm aware of the Fram reputation. Just giving my experience like the others above. Your point?

:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
I didn't mean to start an oil filter arguement

I was just trying to demonstrate (by my use of Fram oil filters) what kind of a cheap ba$turd I really am when it comes to most parts.

Having demonstrated that (hopefully) I was hoping it would show how important a Ford PCV valve is to me and the many gurus here who recommended it to me years ago.

It fixed my troubles and I've read many threads over the years which say the same thing.

Take it as you will. The difference is about $3.00 between Motorcraft and the cheapest PVC a feller can find. The grief it caused me, by not using it, was "priceless".

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've called 5 dealerships here in the Dallas area, and NONE of them have a PCV in stock. It's a $7 "order only" item. I know that the local Autozone stocks Motorcraft spark plugs and motor oil, so I called them in the hopes they might stock a Motorcraft PCV - no such luck. So I take it that those of you who buy Motorcraft PCVs have to order them and wait about a week for them to arrive?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
equin said:
I've called 5 dealerships here in the Dallas area, and NONE of them have a PCV in stock. It's a $7 "order only" item. I know that the local Autozone stocks Motorcraft spark plugs and motor oil, so I called them in the hopes they might stock a Motorcraft PCV - no such luck. So I take it that those of you who buy Motorcraft PCVs have to order them and wait about a week for them to arrive?
Or just pick one up from Napa or Carquest and quit worrying about it :scratchhe

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Larston said:
Or just pick one up from Napa or Carquest and quit worrying about it :scratchhe
Yeah, I should've done that. But being the worry-wart that I am, I broke down and ordered the Ford Motorcraft one from the dealer. I found one for $5.06 (7 cents more than the $4.99 one from NAPA). Supposed to get here on Monday.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
equin said:
Yeah, I should've done that. But being the worry-wart that I am, I broke down and ordered the Ford Motorcraft one from the dealer. I found one for $5.06 (7 cents more than the $4.99 one from NAPA). Supposed to get here on Monday.
You can always toss the Ford one in later

when it gets here. Once you've changed it once, you'll know exactly where to reach for it and how to get it out easily.

I use an aftermarket "one port" plastic top, popped onto the normally "two port" plastic Ford PCV. This allows a whole lot more clearance and the second, smaller, top port is only ever plugged off anyway on our applications;

Good luck (and great price from the dealer)

Sixlitre

1 - 17 of 17 Posts