Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Since this was moved to the newb section I am asking about my 78 Bronco**

There was a thread posted here yesterday that I can't find now, didnt have any useful replies.

I read the other theads I could find on this, I'm looking for something more detailed. I know you can take a voltmeter and see which wires are powered when the ignition is in the "on" position but I can't do this as my key won't turn to the on position (ignition is worn beyond use, no I don't want to just buy a new one).

My goal is one switch to turn everything on just like a key would do, and then a button to crank the starter. Obviously I will hide my own anti-theft stuff later.

Anyone who can help with this I'd appreciate it, I'm not familair with the wiring on the old broncos.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
There was a thread posted here yesterday that I can't find now, didnt have any useful replies.

I read the other theads I could find on this, I'm looking for something more detailed. I know you can take a voltmeter and see which wires are powered when the ignition is in the "on" position but I can't do this as my key won't turn to the on position (ignition is worn beyond use, no I don't want to just buy a new one).

My goal is one switch to turn everything on just like a key would do, and then a button to crank the starter. Obviously I will hide my own anti-theft stuff later.

Anyone who can help with this I'd appreciate it, I'm not familair with the wiring on the old broncos.
id use the haynes manual for some of the wiring diagrams but im not shure if it has all of them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It sounds like you need a new ignition lock cylinder or the little connecter bar thingy that attaches to the cylinder. both of those parts are very cheap and it sounds like you just want to ghetto rig it. I would just replace whats broken. Just my .02

·
Registered
710 Posts
A button hefty enough to power your ignition isn't going to be cheap either. You can't use any ol button or switch to start it. If it can't handle the amperage it'll just melt. Seen it done a few times...

sadly you'll have to get a haynes manual and read the diagram for your specific year to know what color wires do what. I'm very good at walking folks through electrical stuff, but I do not know the colors of the wires to tell you to use.

In order to do what you want to do right and not completely f-ed up you'll need a wire block. Basically it is just a metal strip with holes for wires and screws to hold the wires in. Otherwise you'll be trying to put like 5 wires into a wire nut, and it will be constantly coming loose and giving you a major headache. This can be bought at a hardware store, tell them it's a grounding block for your circuit breaker box in your house. They have all sizes of them.

Normally the wires you want to start it will be the red and green wires, sometimes there are 2 of each, sometimes only 3 wires total, that is just for the starting/ignition on circuit. You will also have you accessory wires to contend with.

without turning on your ignition (said you can't) you will still have 2 hot wires, one big one, and one small one. The small one is generally used for accessory (turning the key backwards), you won't need it anymore. Run your big hot into a "block". Now the wire that is another large one, could be red or green will go to your starter (it won't be hot). You will want to run a heavy gauge wire from your block to a very heavy duty button switch (if it's not at least $20 then it's not heavy enough) then run your starter wire to the other pole of the switch. That should turn the starter over...

Now your other wires... One will be ignition on (for powering up your coil) it will also be red or green (usually). Then you will have your fuse box power up wire (simple name for it it shouldn't go directly to the fuse box). You will want another heavy duty switch (toggle type, nice if it's got a light in it) Run another wire from your "hot block" to your smaller switch, then on the other pole of the switch you will want to run your Ignition ON wire and your FUSE BOX wire (or wires). Again you may want to get another "block" for that as you will more than likely have multiple ones.

It's not that hard, but to do it right it's going to cost you what a key switch would cost you. If you skip the "blocks" you will constantly be having to re-attach wires, and if you skimp on the button switch or the toggle switch you'll just melt them pretty quick. And remember for your start switch it's got to be spring loaded, otherwise you'll forget and leave it turning over.

good luck, if you have any questions I may be able explain it a little more in detail, but really you'll need to look at your wiring diagram to know what colors of wires go where... The reds and greens are what older cars used, they've quit using those as often now because it was so easy for a crook to steal cars when all they had to know was find reds and greens and VROOOM away we go...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goober thanks for that reply, I appreciate it. I do need to pick up a haynes for the 78, i have them for all the other stuff I own but this has just sat parked since I bought it in November. I'll definitely do it right with the blocks like you said, not looking to ghetto rig anything. This is a mod I want to do and there's no better time than now to do it. Thanks for the help, if I have any other questions I'll post up.

It sounds like you need a new ignition lock cylinder or the little connecter bar thingy that attaches to the cylinder. both of those parts are very cheap and it sounds like you just want to ghetto rig it. I would just replace whats broken. Just my .02
Mad Dog I know what is broken that wasn't my question. I was asking how to install a push button ignition. Thanks for your .02 though.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I did this to my 76 Bronco trail rig and it's pretty easy. You can get the push button switches at Advance or Hi-Lo or whatever chain auto parts stores are in your area. I wired a master switch like you describe to a relay and also wired in a round key switch in the master switch wiring. That way I can key off the power to the master switch when needed. And the relay handles all the power that normally goes through the stock key ignition switch. If you do it right it's pretty cool and not ghetto at all.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this to my 76 Bronco trail rig and it's pretty easy. You can get the push button switches at Advance or Hi-Lo or whatever chain auto parts stores are in your area. I wired a master switch like you describe to a relay and also wired in a round key switch in the master switch wiring. That way I can key off the power to the master switch when needed. And the relay handles all the power that normally goes through the stock key ignition switch. If you do it right it's pretty cool and not ghetto at all.
Thanks, that's what I plan to do. I'll have to get in there and take a look at it, probably not till next week. Workin on building the motor for my F350 right now so the bronco is on the back burner for a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts