Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time i posted on here i was having all sorts of issues with my bronco. shut off at red lights. lean fuel codes. low oil pressure. so on and so on. so upon wanting to pull my hair out the motor did the work for me. number three cylinder was missing a part of it somehow some way. oil all over the place on top of the cylinders everywhere and not to mention my timing chain in which the previous owner had replaced was completely toast. couldnt even rotate the engine without it trying to pop off. main bearings were loose as all get it out. needless to say i lost that one. now moving on here i have since dropped in a roller cam motor. now upon trying to pre load my pushrods i noticed that i still have a lot of play out of my pushrods. not knowing much about the roller cams is this normal? and what can i do to remedy this issue?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The roller cam motor uses hydraulic lifters. Unless the lifters are filled with oil, they will compress pretty easily. I am setting up a new motor now. When adjusting the valves, I used a pair of hydraulic lifters that I "modified" for setup purposes by opening them up and filling them with epoxy.:goofing I assume that is what you are experiencing. If you have an oil primp priming rod, you can run the oil pump and rotate the crank a couple of times and the lifters should be nice and stiff (or so I have read).

Baxter

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
If you have access to the lifters (with the intake off) take them out and hold them under fresh motor oil in a container. Take one of your pushrods and actuate the lifter plunger by hand (with the lifter completely submersed) until is gets very stiff and hard to move anymore. This will "prime" the lifters.

Eric

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the insight guys. i finally got the engine running. i cranked the motor with the fuel pump disabled to pretty much prime them seeing as how i dont really have a really good way nor the means to prime them otherwise. they did come up and i got my tension. too much tension which a valve adjustment should fix that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts