Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive got an exhaust leak, and the bolts couldnt be removed so i opted to try chiseling the bolt heads off, well the chisel slipped and i punctured the header tube, any chance that when i get the headers off i can just weld over the hole, or is it time to order headers....

on a side not, the dmv/my insuarance company gave me 1500.00 in fines this week...so itll be awhile before my trucks road worthy i had to pull its ins and regi.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
wow what ya do to get all those fines?

if your hedders arnt too rusted you could weld a small plate over the holes and not have any porbs, but if there rusted just get new ones

which bolts are you chiseling out?, if its the ones holding the hedder to the heads you just gotta keep goin with the chisel really, if its the collector bolts just grind em off

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
My headers are ALL cut and weld. :rofl: Yeah, I'm kinda curious on the fines, too. Run over somebody important?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha no, being from new york it doesnt take much...
got a itce three days ago saying ive been driving around w/o insurance since ealry september, so i had to pay three months of insurance payments (and im 19 with 9 points on my license) upfront to get insurance again and then ill be getting a bill, $8/vehicle/day i didnt have insurance (i have three cars)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
headers are mildly rusty...not so bad by the heads so ill try welding it, and yea its the bolts for the heads.

·
Super Moderator
5,173 Posts
Sorry to change the subject, but dude, don't drive unless you can afford insurance. First off, if you hit someone else, you're going to get sued, and you'll have no insurance to cover it. If you seriously injure someone, you're going to be paying medical bills for someone else out of your own pocket for a LONG time. It's going to cost a lot more than $1500.

Secondly, I've had my and my wife's lives completely screwed over by getting hit and hospitalized with two years of physical therapy by a driver who didn't have insurance. I have no sympathy for drivers who don't have it.

Not having insurance isn't some game you "get away with". It's life changing when things go bad.
Might as well learn these kinds of lessons while you're 19. It's not a game.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Oh man, we've got that problem here in GR with all the illegals living on the north end of town. Which is why I love living on the south-west end. :toothless

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HEY, to clear it up, i have insurance and i can afford it! (well, i do my best to afford it)
somehow the check got misplaced by my ins. co. and since in New York i am assigned risk (read: young and stupid) they basically jump at the chance to cancell my insurance, they just failed to notify me in time to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
5,173 Posts
Hope you know I was speaking in generalities, and that wasn't a personal put down. Just good advice since I know how bad the outcomes can be.
Insurance companies are like that, they'll jump at the chance to get extra cash. Sorry to hear about that. One time I called my insurance company up to just ask what full coverage would cost with all the higher amounts and they said they'd get back with me on the quote. Instead of getting back with me, they just raised my insurance to that amount and never told me. By the time I caught it, they just told me off and said they couldn't reimburse me. *sigh*

As for the headers, you'll most likely have to pull them off one way or another to weld that hole shut. If it were me, I'd just bring it to an exhaust shop to have them weld the hole shut. There's a lot of heat going through there. I don't think they'd charge much, I know most exhaust welding that I've had done that's not on the vehicle was like $5 - $20. (Never had headers though.)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Hope you know I was speaking in generalities, and that wasn't a personal put down. Just good advice since I know how bad the outcomes can be.
Insurance companies are like that, they'll jump at the chance to get extra cash. Sorry to hear about that. One time I called my insurance company up to just ask what full coverage would cost with all the higher amounts and they said they'd get back with me on the quote. Instead of getting back with me, they just raised my insurance to that amount and never told me. By the time I caught it, they just told me off and said they couldn't reimburse me. *sigh
Demand your money back! And why not just change to a different ins co.?

I don't understand people sometimes. For instance, w/ cell phone companies fukking people over all the time. I cannot fathom why some people just refuse to dispute it or change companies. Please don't say "it'll ruin your credit". There is not a cell phone bill on this planet that will keep you from buying a car, a home, signature loan, 2nd mortgage or refinancing. If you have substantial credit history a dinky cell phone bill won't do squat. It's just the line they use b/c they know it will work on their asinine "cancellation fees."

That is all.....carry on.......:brownbag

·
Super Moderator
5,173 Posts
The only reason I stayed is because they are an insurance company only given to people who work for the government, which my dad did, so its not easy to get them. And if i switched, I'd be paying a lot more than I am now. That and I was a bit younger then and a lot more of a pushover than I am now. If it was now, there'd be a refund. ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
HEY, to clear it up, i have insurance and i can afford it! (well, i do my best to afford it)
somehow the check got misplaced by my ins. co. and since in New York i am assigned risk (read: young and stupid) they basically jump at the chance to cancell my insurance, they just failed to notify me in time to fix it.
Ok, "young and dumb"?
You're 19 and have 9 points:shocked on your license? I think it's time to use your head when driving, not your left foot.

In Pa, with that many points, you wouldn't have a license, and insurance would be so outragous you couldn't afford it. :whiteflag

Why would they want to notify you? You are a super high risk that will cost them money. They'd rather you become someone else's problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Demand your money back! And why not just change to a different ins co.?

I don't understand people sometimes. For instance, w/ cell phone companies fukking people over all the time. I cannot fathom why some people just refuse to dispute it or change companies. Please don't say "it'll ruin your credit". There is not a cell phone bill on this planet that will keep you from buying a car, a home, signature loan, 2nd mortgage or refinancing. If you have substantial credit history a dinky cell phone bill won't do squat. It's just the line they use b/c they know it will work on their asinine "cancellation fees."

That is all.....carry on.......:brownbag
The problem is that when you sign up for a cell phone, most won't let you sign for less than a year, with added incentives for 2 years with a hefty fine for canceling ahead of that time. So if you get mad at the company and decide to leave, you have to pay them $800 or more, plus most times you will need a new phone with the hassle of transferring your address list. So you leave the company by paying them a hefty sum and sign your soul to another company. It doesn't hurt your credit, what it hurts is your wallet and your pride. "Sure I'm leaving you, but I just paid you $800 for the privilege."

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, "young and dumb"?
You're 19 and have 9 points:shocked on your license? I think it's time to use your head when driving, not your left foot.

In Pa, with that many points, you wouldn't have a license, and insurance would be so outragous you couldn't afford it. :whiteflag

Why would they want to notify you? You are a super high risk that will cost them money. They'd rather you become someone else's problem.
u obviously havent been to long island...

yes i have a lead foot sometimes, but ive never gotten a ticket for driving like an idiot, its just the odds when u spend 45,000 miles a year on the road, driving a 5.0 mustang

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the advise btw, my uncles a machinist so ill chisel the bolts, and bring the header to him... if anyone can do it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts