Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you don't like the idea of cutting into the cowl. If that's the case with you, then there are other ways of routing.

This starts with building a custom air box. Why custom? Because I don't feel it's worth the effort to try to seal a stock air cleaner. I used a 9" air cleaner element, and upper and lowre lids. I took a length of 13" galvanized sheetmetal, to be used to form the air box. Cut "V"s along both long edges of the sheet metal, starting and ending about 1" on both sides, to allow room for the edges to be pop-riveted later on. Bend the tabs over, and form the sheetmetal, so it sits inside the loewr air cleaner lid. Drill and rivet every second or third tab, your choice. With that done, get yourself a large soup can, that's about 3" in diameter, and trace a hole on the opposite side of the riveted joint. Cut out the hole, and set the can in, marking 1/2 - 3/4" farther in, to cut more tabs in the can, which will also be riveted to the hole. Am I making any sense so far? In the end, it will look like this -

Be sure to silicone all the joints, inside as out. And before you finally install the air box to the carb, run a smooth, consistent bead of silicone around the lower lid's carb opening, and let it set up completely.

Next, you'll want to cut a hole in the firewall, and cowl vent, to route the 3" ABS pipe thru. You can use any number of means to cut the hole, whichever is easiest for you

The bends were all accomplished with 90º elbows, making it as tight as possible. I could have routed it along the fender, and using less bends, but I take a greater chance on smashing it against rocks or trees doing it that way. Once you get the routing figured out, be sure to glue all the joints, just as you would with any other plumbing. I also ran a bead of silicone around all the joints too - no such thing as being too careful

Here, you can see I used a couple "L" brackets to locate, and fasten the intake runner too. As it shows, it was never in my line-of-sight, and I couldn't even see it up along the A pillar

Topping it off, I used a toilet flange. Yup, that's right. I screwed down a short length of 1/8" x 1/2" flat bar, wth a hole drilled in the center of it, to locate the piece of all-thread

The all-thread is used to down down the 9" air filter, and a second air cleaner. Why go thru all this trouble? Because it only cost me $25 for the materials... some of it being purchased at garage sales. I've never had a chance to test it, but I have no doubt it would have survived the test

·
Registered
470 Posts
Supermotors died last year (I think it was last year??) and everyone lost their pics. Search his supermotors manually for them and if that doesn't work ask David nicely and he might be able to dig them up.

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts