Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Sony's latest 8.95" single din head unit as the tired old Alpine was toast.
I knew the glare would be an issue especially withe the top off, but it was before with the Alpine and it's actually not too bad. Best thing is, the sound is way better than the Alpine. I do have a hidden sub that I built in the center console, and it really made it come alive. Hope to install a backup camera before the top goes back on.

Happy to answer any questions. View attachment 162105

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
9 Posts
I've been looking for a way to add some sort of screen into the dash and this looks awesome. Did you have to cut any of the trim to get this to fit in the spot correctly?

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
85 Posts
I am looking into the Sony AXV-AX8000 it's a single din, with apple carplay/android auto navigation, xm radio, bluetooth, basicly everything like my 2020 Ram. I feel so lost without a big navigation screen on there & this head unit has a lot of in/out & up/down adjustability to fit the unique 86 dash. The trade off from the flip out screens are that it is really noticeable to a would be thief?? I just hear too much from my buddy in the car stereo business about the flip out screens not lasting too long. That extend and flip out mechanism is pretty fragile? Maybe a "Bronco" cover over it or something to hide it better from people passing by?

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
85 Posts
Glad to hear you are liking this head unit! What year Bronco did you put that 8000 in, looks 87-91ish in the image? Trying to see if anyone has it in a 80-86?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1994. Lots of adjustment options. Just not side to side, but depth, angle and height are all adjustable

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought Sony's latest 8.95" single din head unit as the tired old Alpine was toast.
I knew the glare would be an issue especially withe the top off, but it was before with the Alpine and it's actually not too bad. Best thing is, the sound is way better than the Alpine. I do have a hidden sub that I built in the center console, and it really made it come alive. Hope to install a backup camera before the top goes back on.

Definitely interested!! Any fitment issues? According the Crutchfield website, they say it won't fit the bronco. (I also have a 94).

·
Registered
2 Posts

I want this head unit. Was install tough (Crutchfield says doesn’t fit)? Could a novice handle it? My bronco presently has a Sony head unit. Wondering if it utilizes the same harness?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Molar65 put this unit in his 1994, if you look at his first post, there is an attachment showing a picture of the unit installed in his 1994 Bronco, but here ya go, I did the work for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I saw the attachment. I was simply looking for any details he could add on his install...especially since Crutchfield says it doesn’t fit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah that's weird that crutchfelield says that, it's a single din radio, so it would fit. As far as diagrams, I looked at the Sony web site & it has pretty detailed schematics. You could also look up your current sony radio there and compare. That would be nice it the connectors were the same, but I doubt you'll get that lucky.

·
Super Moderator
9,661 Posts
My sony single din sony Mex-5100bt was a perfect fit install. I have no idea why @Powderblue Had any issues with his install.

I'm in the process of finally getting my system reinstalled. About 4 years ago my bronco got broken into and they broke the window and the drivers seat and tore the carpet to RIP out my sub box. That's all they got. I spent that time collecting parts and I built a new sub box. All the new stuff is bolted down to the body to make it as difficult as possible to any thieves. I Ran all new dual 1/0 power wiring, all new speaker wiring, new speakers, new signal wires. Hopefully I'll be finished up Saturday. I'm just waiting on a new support cage for the head unit which I lost. Hopefully I'll finish the wiring tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I saw the attachment. I was simply looking for any details he could add on his install...especially since Crutchfield says it doesn’t fit.
It fits like a glove. I did try to get it back further than I should have and cracked the defroster tube, but oh well. Still loving the head unit and I hooked up a back up cam too. Works great.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My sony single din sony Mex-5100bt was a perfect fit install. I have no idea why @Powderblue Had any issues with his install.

I'm in the process of finally getting my system reinstalled. About 4 years ago my bronco got broken into and they broke the window and the drivers seat and tore the carpet to RIP out my sub box. That's all they got. I spent that time collecting parts and I built a new sub box. All the new stuff is bolted down to the body to make it as difficult as possible to any thieves. I Ran all new dual 1/0 power wiring, all new speaker wiring, new speakers, new signal wires. Hopefully I'll be finished up Saturday. I'm just waiting on a new support cage for the head unit which I lost. Hopefully I'll finish the wiring tonight.
I tried the sub box thing for a while, however being somewhat creative I hollowed out the center console, and stuffed a 12" sub with a box in it. I also left a small tray storage area under the lid. Its pretty much hidden and actually bumps pretty good. I've been enjoying it for a few years now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would like to make my console a sub box as well without totally killing all the storage. Just a little something... Probably just an 8" sub in a sealed box. I dont like loud, just well defined clarity.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Watching with interest... my old eyes can't read the tiny display on single DIN units in most lighting conditions so I've been considering a flip out screen unit. That Sony is pretty pricey, though... I'm wondering how it will hold up in a Bronco?

Another option is a custom center console build with a double DIN unit...

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,468 Posts
Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 31 Posts