Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8L
196 Posts
Personally I wanted to avoid cutting the dash, but that's just me.
No cutting required with a single din unit like this. I'm installing mine in the morning. I'll post pics. Mine is 8"

Cyberslinger - 1996 XLT Sport 5.8L

·
Registered
323 Posts
No cutting required with a single din unit like this. I'm installing mine in the morning. I'll post pics. Mine is 8"

Hah! 8 inches, now you’re just bragging...

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT 5.8L
196 Posts
Mine's 9" so hah!
Haha. Got you confused. Forgot you were the one who started the thread and had ALREADY installed a single din. Duh. My bad!

And now I will refrain from more measurement humor

Actually I won't... Yours might be a little bigger but mine has more RAM.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Im having trouble getting my head unit to go in far enough to lock in place. I'm going to have to try and make some room for all that wiring behind it.
Its most likely bumping up against the defroster duct. Don't push too hard or you'll break it. I did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im having trouble getting my head unit to go in far enough to lock in place. I'm going to have to try and make some room for all that wiring behind it.
I called crutchfield and they said that the 90’s era Bronco has slightly less clearance for true head unit than the F150 and that’s why they say they’re not compatible. Metra makes a single din spacer that allows the headunit to stick out about a 1/4” from the dash. That solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
I do know it is tight in there. I had to get a new support cage for the head unit and now it won't lock in. Im going to work on it this weekend and it will lock by the time im done

21 - 34 of 34 Posts