I did this because I have never used the cubby hole and I needed another place for switches.
Look at the stupid thing, for me it is worthless.
In traditional Ben mannor, start with a cardboard template
Take your time and measure out where you plan to cut, if you are me draw more lines than you need and confuse your self
I chose a copping saw to make most of the cuts. You can use whatever floats your boat....I would have used a die grinder if my aptarment complex would let me fire up the air compresser
One side done. You could theoretically cut the whole thing off. I wanted to do it this way to keep the wires under control.
Both sides off, now you have a good place to glue things to.
My best friend and peice of aluminim
Rough fit, I made a boo boo on the left. It wont matter latter.
Looks pretty good so far.
Measure and then center punch the holes for thw switches.
I use a forstner bit to drill these holes.....yes I know they are only for wood and only for a drill press, but they work better than anything Ive used for this thin stuff.
all the holes drilled, not all perfect but there is enough play in the switches that it all works out.
Now sand it with 220 all in the same direction. Then wash it off and slap some polish on it. Still needs polish in the pic
Starting to look decent.
Switches in, still needs some glue and wires.
I got a little creative with the clamps.....er weights, eh whatever works.
All glued up, little bit of extra...but that can be scraped off pretty easy.
Yes I was watching American Chopper
View from the back before wires.
Pic with the wires, I re-did the wiring after this pic so I could eliminate some of the connectors.
Here is the wiring harness before I put it in. Again, I re-did it after this pic to fix somethings.
Here is the wiring diagram I made for the wiring harness I made.
Still needs cleaning, you can see some of the marker on it, but other than that all done.