Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Putting C-6 in 89 EFI 302 Bronco

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  8thgenbroncofan 
#1 ·
I have a C6 tranny from an 86 F150 that is going in my 89 Bronco with an EFI 302 with a blown up AOD. My only problems are:

I cannot find a kickdown linkage or cable that will work with EFI. The junkyards could not help me.

My other problem is what do I do about the vacuum modulator hose. Where do I connect that to?

This kickdown linkage issue is really worrying me. I need to find something that will work. I have been three weeks without a vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
yep I run mine without a kickdown. C6 doesn't have to have one to work fine. It just wont kick down to passing gear at highway speed unless you drop the shifter to 2nd. You will need a c6 or E4OD flex-plate. The drive shafts should be fine but I'm not positive.

#7 ·
Driveshaft difference between 4X4 version of C-6 and AOD is 1.25" (AOD is longer). A lot of guys run the driveshafts without modifications. I chose to alter mine. If yours has any lift at all, it could be a problem, especially with the rear shaft.
I would think you should be able to find the linkage somewhere at a j/y. I switched from a C-6 to AOD, but I am trying to sell my stuff as a "set".

#10 ·
88/89 bronco's and F-series with EFI and a 351W should have a kick down cable because the only auto offered behind them was a C-6

#12 ·
I just did an aod to c6 swap in an 87. With the exception of the kick down cable bracket, my trans came with them from the donor, everything from the aod was a direct bolt on including the drive shaft and the c6 torgue converter bolted to the aod flywheel. For the vacuum I used the line off the cruise, it didn't work anyhow and connected it to the intake vacuum. Everything works great! So good I'm about to pull an e40d and replace it with a c6. I know more work is involved but goodbye to the electronic problems of the e40d!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.