Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the "wheel bearing" type swing away tire carrier on the bumper, I always see the bottom bar of the carrier stretching way out to the other side of the bumper. My question is why don't you cut it off where the triangulation ends? Is there some benefit to having it full length?

Thanks.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
personal preference

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I've been reading and searching through the fab section and found this thread.

Are the trailer spindles holding up ok with those long carriers? I would like to add a full length carrier because I want to incorporate a ladder on one side or the other to access a rack on the top easier.

I ordered the tire carrier kit from EMS, and it came with the spindle setup. But honestly I'm a bit concerned about the strength since I've heard of at least one example on this site that busted off.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
In one of the threads Waltman talked about pre-heating the spindle before welding it in. Did you guys do that?

Like I said I want to add a ladder in the construction, add a high lift, and also add a rack that is removable that holds a cooler, and water jug for camping trips. Getting those out of the interior would be nice.

2x2x3/16 good enough?

Also, how much should sagging be compensated for when welding together?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd stay away from those trailer bearings, the d44 ones are much stronger. And honestly I'd use bigger tubing like 3"x3". For welding, heat it up just a little bit and then burn nice and hot with the welder.

I finally chose the short carrier and am happy I did, I'm able to open it anywhere and it's more compact and less bulky. Here's my build invade anyones interested, thanks fo the responses!
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166117

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Ya I saw that. I like how you mounted it, and am going to do the same on mine.

I might go the spindle hub route but I don't have those extra parts laying around so it'll actually be more expensive. Plus I already purchased the spindle.....Oh well I guess I can sell it or use it for a can mount or something.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Also, how much should sagging be compensated for when welding together?
If you go with the spindle, tack it in place first, then put the max weight you expect on the arm and then raise it about 1/32 or so to allow for possible settling and adjust accordingly. If you read my bumper build, I started with the spindle but went with bearings that bolt on for clearance reasons.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in my thread, but I shrunk (heated) the arm so that when there is no weight on the arm it is about 1/4" or so above the bumper, but with the weight of the tire and jack, it is absolutely perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
What are the spindles normally made of? The EMS spindle hinge came today and it looks like its a piece of machined carbon steel.

Anyhow I picked up an extra spindle/hub/stub shaft today also, so I'm going to use a Dana 44 hub for the ladder/tire/cooler rack.

Not sure if I want to sell the EMS hinge or hang onto it and use it on the other side for jerry cans.

·
Registered
247 Posts
A chevy going about 5-10 mph hit my spare mounted on 2x2 .120 square and it cracked my trailer spindle. Everything else except the tailgate was fine. I was/am ok with the spindle being the breaking point so i put another one in. I am thinking about redoing that whole part of my bumper though.....dual sheer?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I run a 40inch spare on my carrier but it also rests on the bumper in the closed position. It also extendes full with of the bumper.
That gives me room for two Jerry cans. Just in caes the hub should break I have two hitch pins going throught the arm and bumper just in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts