Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just going through my carb options and am starting to look a little into qjets. i've heard they are great offroad, which is what i'll be doing most. what years are good for the bronco and what should i be looking for. kinda new to this but looking for more power and wondering if it is worth it to go to a four barrel or just stay with what i got.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Unless you find a spreadbore that was offered for the Ford, you're going to end up with a GM carb. Which is fine, you just have know which one to look for. I forget, offhand, which number to look for, in the carb number that's stamped into the body of it, but there's a carb for the auto, and manual transmissions. Both have linkages accordingly, and can make the difference with the ease of install on yours

You'll also want a spreadbore-to-squarebore carb adapter. I forget the Spectre number too, but I know you can get it at any parts store.

I've always believed a Qjet is an awesome carb, but can be a bitch to get tuned right, in some cases. IIRC, 78bronco460 is running a Thermoquad, if you wanted to increase your options even more - also an excellent carb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 79 400m 4 speed stick

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
To find the carb numer, it's stamped into the main throttle body, on the driver's side of the carb, next to the secondary butterflys. It could be a number that looks like 17085219. It's that "9" that you want to look for. The ending number determines the linkages. Even number will be for autos, odd numbers will be for manual trans

The adapter you'll use, assuming you already have a 4bbl intake, is like this -

This is a Proform adapter number 66251, from the partsamerica.com site (Advance Auto Parts)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts