Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey long time no posts for me on this site lolol...Anyways I have done a coilover conversion and Q80 with triple bypasses in the rear. No cut n turned TTB, went with Geoff's drop down brackets. No Kings, went with Locked for shocks on all four corners. Did it in my garage with my dad in about 2.5 weeks, first time I've ever tried something of this caliber ($8,000 for a 19 yr old is a huge chunk of $$). Q80 leaf packs have all springs in them, I did unpack them but I'm lazy and didn't want to have to do it again once they sagged if I took two out, and the bypasses have not been tuned at all, adjusting nut on rebound and compression tube wise.

I've taken it out to Cleghorn and Big Bear and some unmarked fire roads to do a lil bit of testing and have noticed that the rear end bounces up fast n kinda "donkey kicks" the rear up depending on speed (gets a bit better with more speed, but low speed feels like shiet). To me just thinking about it in a physics sense, my low speed compression is happening to hard (sorry don't know the proper like terms for that, kinda like low speed compression is occurring to fast at low speed, making me think that the oil is being displaced too fast). The most generalized observation I can give that is the same for pretty much any speed is that the rear end feels too floaty/bouncy coming out of more intense whoops and lines. However, I don't shit about shock tuning so that inference about the displacement of fluid could be completely wrong, and obviously the best way to do this would to be a test day with a tuner but I'm broke and back half caging it so can't afford it for a while.

Honestly was just kinda hoping someone would just point me in the right direction (Like "start by backing the rebound nut down x threads or something along those lines). Bronco still gets down with the bypasses set how they are, but I know it can ride better and I feel like I'm not utilizing the full capabilities of it.

Also my bad mods if this is in the wrong sub-forum! I think I'm good since it's kinda a newb question so.

Here's some pics of the Bronco n I have a bunch of build pics on my instagram @matt95eb
(yes i plan to cut the rest of the exhaust past the muff off, but still trying to convince mom :)
IMG_1894.jpeg
IMG_1742.jpeg
IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice setup.
Whole books are written on this subject and folks make decent money dialing in suspensions. My novice experience is from road courses on motorcycles.

The descriptions of kicking up, floating and bouncing would have me trying more rebound. It sounds like the rear is unloading too quickly and taking weight off the rear tires.

Too much compression results in a crashy feel against the bump. Too little rebound results in rapid rise after the bump. Of course if the compression is too stiff it bounces up due to the lack of compliance. Best bet is take notes of the baseline settings, make adjustments and note the results.

And to make it more complicated, if the front is not setup well it can feel like it's all in the rear because the chassis is pitching oddly which overworks the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice setup.
Whole books are written on this subject and folks make decent money dialing in suspensions. My novice experience is from road courses on motorcycles.

The descriptions of kicking up, floating and bouncing would have me trying more rebound. It sounds like the rear is unloading too quickly and taking weight off the rear tires.

Too much compression results in a crashy feel against the bump. Too little rebound results in rapid rise after the bump. Of course if the compression is too stiff it bounces up due to the lack of compliance. Best bet is take notes of the baseline settings, make adjustments and note the results.

And to make it more complicated, if the front is not setup well it can feel like it's all in the rear because the chassis is pitching oddly which overworks the rear.
Thanks for the info! I've read a few different references and articles on tuning but have had some issues correlating what I am feeling in the truck to what changes to make to fix those. I definitely want to do some trial/error adjusting just still battling smaller problems (power steering pump maxed out due to tension on stock rods, both front hubs need Warn replacements, n a few more). (Here is a good breakdown of bypasses I've been reading that Fox has written in case anyone else needs it)

I'll probably try to do some urban testing when I get a chance (couple long streets near me with those hella large speed bumps n some train track roads), and going with what you said I have a feeling it's going to be a mix of both rebound and compression. Hopefully in the next few days I can go out n get some data. Thank you again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts