Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,443 Posts
BigNorm said:
I've heard that the open one isn't as good as the 4 hole. I'm thinking that with a little grinding the secondaries would open up just fine. I've already got the same adapter that you guys do. I bought it from Nappa a while back and didn't remember the exact numbers. I may get back around to fiddling with Qjets. It would be nice to hear secondaries open again. The reason I used the 2100 in the first place was that having power at wierd angles was more important to me than no power at those angles and kick ass performance on the flat. It seems everything is a compromise.
Two questions for ya, Wouldn't boring it out kinda defeat the purpose of having the 4 hole anyway? Seems to me that the difference rides on the size of the holes in the adapter, and I've never seen any benefits between the two, unless of course you count being able to open the secondaries a benefit.
And 2, what kinda problems did you have with angles with the quadrajet? I've always had great luck running it the regular way, and if you need to go extreme, it seems to me that OX solved his angle problems completely and still has the full power benefit of a 4 barrel, not to mention his Qjet probably smokes your 2100 on gas mileage at cruising speed.

Not bashing any ideas, just trying to look at it from both sides, y'know?

I think i'm gonna twist my Qjet 180* and take it for a couple runs, I've got a very steep quad hill that's been pissing me off lately. It's on my jeep, but I've got a new digital camera I've been itching to use. Maybe I'll post a write up when I'm done.

Old Yeller

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Oldyeller said:
Two questions for ya, Wouldn't boring it out kinda defeat the purpose of having the 4 hole anyway? Seems to me that the difference rides on the size of the holes in the adapter, and I've never seen any benefits between the two, unless of course you count being able to open the secondaries a benefit.
And 2, what kinda problems did you have with angles with the quadrajet? I've always had great luck running it the regular way, and if you need to go extreme, it seems to me that OX solved his angle problems completely and still has the full power benefit of a 4 barrel, not to mention his Qjet probably smokes your 2100 on gas mileage at cruising speed.

Not bashing any ideas, just trying to look at it from both sides, y'know?

I think i'm gonna twist my Qjet 180* and take it for a couple runs, I've got a very steep quad hill that's been pissing me off lately. It's on my jeep, but I've got a new digital camera I've been itching to use. Maybe I'll post a write up when I'm done.

Old Yeller
I wouldn't bore it out I'd just massage it out with a dremmel untill the secondaries opened up all the way that would keep the original flow charicteristics intact since I didn't mess with the whole hole just where it mounts to the carb. I know that the Qjet works. I ran one for awhile but I never could get the secondaries to run right. It was off of a 60's boat so I don't fault the carb for it as I know the combo works. What I was saying is that having power in those odd off camber moments is why I haven't taken it off yet. It's extremely simple to work with and it does what I need. If this were a DD I'd definately be swappin a Qjet in or researching a TBI setup or something. I don't know why they wouldn't have made the adapter correctly for the 4 hole design anyway. I mean why would they sell something that doesn't work?

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,443 Posts
BigNorm said:
I mean why would they sell something that doesn't work?
That, my friend, is the million dollar question. I know what you mean, and I guess just grinding it out a little wouldn't change the flow characteristic, but what exactly does the 4 hole do in terms of flow, far as I can figure they'd both be subject to the vacuum of the engine, so why would reducing the..........oooooooohhhhhhhhh, now I think I get what you're saying, if I ran the four hole adapter then the vacuum from the engine would be centralized on each individual hole in the adapter which in turn creates a vacuum on each of the four barrels of the carburetor, rather than one big vacuum on all four. Am I correct in thinking that this would create more airflow because the vacuum would be stronger through the carburetor? I think I'm gonna research this further, you may be onto something there.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Oldyeller said:
That, my friend, is the million dollar question. I know what you mean, and I guess just grinding it out a little wouldn't change the flow characteristic, but what exactly does the 4 hole do in terms of flow, far as I can figure they'd both be subject to the vacuum of the engine, so why would reducing the..........oooooooohhhhhhhhh, now I think I get what you're saying, if I ran the four hole adapter then the vacuum from the engine would be centralized on each individual hole in the adapter which in turn creates a vacuum on each of the four barrels of the carburetor, rather than one big vacuum on all four. Am I correct in thinking that this would create more airflow because the vacuum would be stronger through the carburetor? I think I'm gonna research this further, you may be onto something there.
That's what I'm talking about. All I've learned about Qjets thus far I've learned from Jacob_Royer from Offroad.com Board. He's run them on Chrysler muscle cars and I guess with good success. I don't doubt that the open adapters work, Like I said I've used one. But since vacuum is what opens the secondaries I'd think you'd want as much vacuum at the carb as possible. Now on the 400M motor you'd be pullin' more air than I was with my 351W (check out the M motor's intake ports in comparison to a Windsor. They're like twice as big almost) so maybe it doesn't make as much of a difference. I'm sure intake design will make a difference as well. I can't wait to fiddle with one of these again. I've got 3 in the garage. (I seem to collect carbs)

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,443 Posts
Ok I see where you're going with that, I think I might work a 4 hole adapter in there and see what I can get it to do. I'll post a write up if I get to it this weekend

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Oldyeller said:
Ok I see where you're going with that, I think I might work a 4 hole adapter in there and see what I can get it to do. I'll post a write up if I get to it this weekend
Start a thread called: The Ultimate Quadrajet thread. That way everyone can contribute their tricks and tips. One reason I love the 2100 is that it's so damn simple. Qjets are a little more complicated with metering rods, 3 body pieces, ect.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
Damn I never heard these reviews of the dime-a-dozen Qjets. I may slap one on the 460 to hold me over til the EFI swap. My Edelbrock sucks.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts