Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lookin to convert over to the quad shock option since my lift came with the 4 front shocks and 2 rear. what all do i need? 1986 xlt with the 5.0

·
Registered
227 Posts
I converted mine when I did the lift. - Lot of rivits to remove but no biggie. be sure to use Grade 8 bolts to install - If I remember correctly I used 1/2" Grade 8 and torqued them all to ft 100 lbs. Oh, and use a little RED thread locker so they won't come loose.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
Like others said, why bother? I believe the amount of work required to do it would outweigh any possible gain. You'd be replacing the shock/spring bucket on both sides, and IIRC adding the front mounts on the axle housings. Not worth the hassle, IMO.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright sounds good to me, plus ill have 2 extra shocks for future use when these wear out! i just wasnt sure if there was an advantage to having 4 shocks up front. i dont plan on any racing,, i only crawl around. i do have the sway bars off, but i dont mind the highway manors at all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Alot of members run with just one and swear by it. It's all in how you want to set it up and how you want it to handle.

Keep in mind that the shock that goes in front of the axle and the shock that goes behind the axle are different. Skyjacker sells the as 2 different part numbers and they look different. The one in front of the axle is narrower than the one behind the axle and I believe that they are different lengths. I'd check it out with the manufacturer.

Be sure to install the right set for the front then just sell the other set on FSB or ebay.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
the front shock is longer than the rear... the front shock might work if you do a lift... not sure, the guru's may chime in and verify...

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I found this info originally posted by SPLAH sometime ago.

Skyjacker makes a shock mount kit, that's pretty straight forward in installation. Part number DS280, designed to work with your ride.

~Rudi~

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
stangmata50l said:
I know this isn't the question you asked, but why bother? I actually took out my aft shocks and threw them away. I only run the rear-mounted front shocks now and haven't looked back.
Fore = forward
Aft = rear
:twak

(starbird = right, Port = left)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts